I need an advise. building a website for selling stocks. any help please?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Eli, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Eli

Eli
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Members,

I am running a computer parts business. I buy stock like HD's CPU's Graphic Cards etc' etc' and sell it. I only sell min. order of 100pcs/order +
    I would like to build appropriate website to promote the products stock I have.

I thought to myself that maybe I should use an open source platform as a start.
    It could be a simple HTML or PHP platform to represent the products. It could be a good CMS or modified Opencart (opencart without some modules like the Cart capability)
    My questions are:
    1. What kind of site to use?
    2. Do you think I need a site to show also the products photos and specification? Or it is enough that I use the product Manufacturer name and the product Serial number and price offer as a list?
    3. Should I use also PHP LIST to create user database to be able to send them direct information

Please help me. I don't know from where to start.

Thank you,
    Eli

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum Eli. When it comes to building your website, a lot would depend on your coding and design knowledge and skills. If you don't already have these, it would probably be much more efficient to hire someone to build the site for you. Other options would be to sell your products on eBay or to use something like Yahoo Store.

The threads below have discussed similar topics and you might find them helpful;

How To Set Up Your First Website with WordPress
    How To Set Up Your First Website For Beginners - Using Office Live
    What should i need to create my own website?

If you can please reply with a little more info on your design and coding knowledge we can give you more specific suggestions.

As regards to whether or not you should show photos of your products, I would be inclined to say that you should. Photos give a much clearer representation of what you are selling and when they are displayed well, they can make your website look much more professional.

Email mailing lists are a great way of reminding your customers and site visitors about your business and they are an excellent sales tool. I would recommend that you have one.

3. ComJan

ComJan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It would be helpful to know more about what you want to sell, do you have a bunch of products, is there customization of the products...

The easiest thing would be to use a hosted cart solution that you just buy a template for, why do coding if you don't need to

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would definitely want to see pictures of a product I'm buying to know I'm getting what I think I'm getting. I think too you would be better either using somewhere like ebay or employing a professional coder if you're at all unsure. You can't afford to make any errors with shopping carts especially. Ebay already has buyers coming that would search a product, so why not take advantage of that established traffic and enormous userbase instead?

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree on using Ebay first since you'll basically learn more in selling online via that site.
    Of course, you need to post an image of the product and it's brand name and model. You won't get any buyers if you just tell them what the computer part is. There are some buyers who are brand conscious while there are some parts who won't work well with each other and needed a different model for it (I bet you already know it).

6. Eli

Eli
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dear Members!

Thank you for your replies! I appreciate your help.

I start to believe that Ebay or Amazon could be a good solution. But I have some doubt
    that it could be the best solution for selling high volume of products at one order.
    Please look at "s a b c a l dot com" for example, simple html site that could be a great solution for me... what do you say?
    Also take in account that my business is build to sell in high volume and not to deal with many orders that each order should be send to different destination.

Thanks again,
    Eli

7. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess if you are totally unaware from making and designing a website and also can't afford to hire a developer for your self than I would like to suggest to install an appropriate theme of wordpress or jumla actuallt both these companies are working to assist those people who don't know how to build a website you can choose a theme which is accordingly to the type of your website than you can manage your website through a simple and easy to use control panel I would not recommend to open an online store on ebay or anything else because if your website gain some traffic you will also be able to earn from it

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After seeing your site, I think it's ok but it has lots of rooms for improvement.
    As said in the posts before, customers want to see an image of the actual product and the description, in this case, your computer specs.
    Of course, the price should be included.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is that your own site Eli?

10. MsMicaela

MsMicaela
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Eli.

Saw your site and it's ok for a simple site (if it is yours). It looks promising but you may need help in the layout. It looks a bit too cluttered and if I were a buyer I might have 2nd thoughts entering it.

I see you have a Virtual Tour. Maybe you can put it somewhere in the middle like a sample? Or maybe a slideshow of some of the products your selling. People tend to stay if there are moving objects on a page that grabs their attention.

Maybe we could move your product tabs somewhere at the top and a search bar as well. Some people prefer typing in a keyword than looking for it all over.

Again these are only options if this is indeed your site (sabcaldotcom). There are a lot of web designers who go for a good rate if you need any help in creating a quality site.

11. alex

alex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good site Elly, i think you made this site with wordpress or phpsite ?
    For make a prof good site, i'm sugested you for don't used CMS,
    but mayme you can consultation with another friends who have skill to do that for you.
    Sorry, this is just litle solution for your site Elly...

12. Eli

Eli
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal, how R U? I hope fine!

No, It is not my site. I never said it was! :D

I would like to have a similar site, because my business is the same. I think it could be enough, as a start.
    Simple HTML, easy for me to add remove & modify the pages according to the changing stock.

Many thanks to all for sharing your opinion with me.
    Willing to hear some more.. :thumbsup:

Best Regards,
    Eli

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it will be much better if you make a better site than them.
    I know using simple HTML will be easy but it won't be as appealing as one who is made from CMS.
    Besides, it will be hard to edit an HTML data since you need to reupload and overwrite the existing file on your server/host. In CMS, you have a control panel wherein you can easily edit and publish your products if it needs some changes.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Eli have you decided if you will build the site yourself or hire someone to build it?

15. thresanresee45

thresanresee45
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As considers to whether or not yourself should show photos of your products, I would be incline to say that you should photographs give a very much clearer representation of what yours are selling and when.

16. habeebraja

habeebraja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its a Good idea,But for that you need a very good and business website.It should attract large number of people.You have to keep updating a data by second wise.
    you can also take help from Google to increase more and more traffic in the website.

17. abi5684

abi5684
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Eli,

It would be good if you use opensource CMS which runs with PHP platform in your website.
    It gives you the best flexibility like
    1. About your products.
    2. About your products description, pictures,
    3. About your clients
    4. About your recent new products
    5. If you want you can use Cart also.

The best CMS(open source) for your website is MAGENTO CMS - Its an trypcial CMS(content management system) for E-commerce website. You can easily maintain the website from backend panel.
    Hope it will be helpful for you in all conceivable ways..

18. jason23

jason23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Eli,
    I gone through your requirements its a great idea to sell your products through online. Specifying only price list of the products is not a good idea so i suggest you can go with the gallery this we can do it in open source in php because it has more feature in it and no need to pay any may for this application.

So we have done many project in php/joomla you can contact us please go through our portfolio the works which we have done.

its just like e commerce website. php or joomla its a good platform to build website as per your requirement.

Jason
    Logicshore Service