I need advice on starting an online t-shirt company.

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by Joe Goffreda, Dec 24, 2012.

?

Do you like the designs

Poll closed Dec 30, 2012.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Joe Goffreda

Joe Goffreda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am 17 years old and for the past couple years I have only sold nike products on amazon. While the profit was good, I want to have my own company. The name im thinking of is "undefined designs". I paid an artist to design a logo and 3 t-shirt designs. Today I plan on going to a printing press to print 3 "prototypes." I need advice on how to sell these shirts online and how to make a profit off of them. Thank you for your time and interest. -JG

2. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Those are some nice graphics, I think one of the best ways might be to start up a site and you will be able to advertise the site. One other option might be to make custom T-Shirts which I think might involve a little bit more money... If you want to hit me u with a private message I might be able to help you start out if you wanted to do a custom T-shirt instead.. Also my idea involves a large audience.

3. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to keep stock on hand, the easiest way would be to use Amazon. You can add your product and they take care of advertising, it's not cheap, but it works.

You can also check out the various places (like cafepress, theres a few others that are much cheaper but I forgot the names) that will take your designs and print them on-demand when someone orders it and ship it to them. This is easy but they do charge, and make some money, off you.

You can also check DTG printers, you could print the designs at home. I would however not buy a DTG printer, I would make one. You can use most Epson printers to do so. You can also check Craigslist for a wide format printer and shove a shirt through it; I've done it with an Epson Stylus Pro 9000 and the cost is a buck or so for the shirt and a few cents on ink. This is your cheapest option with highest profit but it's the most work. (You could sell on Amazon or your own website if you wanted.)

Since you're starting with a few designs that you'll have in stock, I'd just put them up on Amazon and see what happens first. If it sells then go ahead and make your own website; advertising your own site isn't cheap or easy so it's not that great if you want to initially see if something sells.

Edit: It occurred to me I'd also have to say I'd recommend doing custom prints. Why? The T-Shirt industry and the art industry are extremely competitive because the barriers to entry are low. You can upload your designs to cafepress and have a business in a few minutes. - I tried a similar thing with photos, it's why I bought the large printer so I could produce and sell everything in-house, and selling custom prints where someone sends me an image and a size, I print it, mail it off works fine. However, getting people to buy my photos, even though I had a few thousand and offered virtually any size up to 70" x 44" or so was a whole lot harder and generated maybe 5% of overall sales.

#3 PS9, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  4. pannam

pannam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can also check out the various places (like cafepress, theres a few others that are much cheaper but I forgot the names) that will take your designs and print them on-demand when someone orders it and ship it to them .

5. john_mclaren

john_mclaren
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On-line marketing increases the reach to your customers, so you can start by launching all your portfolio of products on your website. Analyze the trends that your competitors are following. Go for directory posting of your web site. Use social media marketing sites as a tool by creating your page and inviting friends to join that. Go for buying ad-words and pairing your ads with right key word searches.

6. omar ahmed

omar ahmed
    uix_expand uix_collapse

17 years old you are to young to begin with your self only

7. Lets Syncro

Lets Syncro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In a previous postions, I have designed and sold tees. I am a bit confused about your plan, you aren't the artist? You just want product to sell? Custom is a strong suggestion, don't worry about your age. My daughter started her business at 18 and is buying her own house at 20. PM if i can help. Good Luck.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 2misi.com

2misi.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your business plan is good. My suggestion is to promote your T-shirt business to closer friends and associates and then ask them to help you spread it through their network. If the business grow, you may start open an online store through social media or own website.

• Like Like x 1
  9. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you might be interested to sell those designs in zazzle.com

• Like Like x 1
  10. garryjohn258

garryjohn258
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should advertise your products on social media or social networking sites or make your fan page of your products and promote it. Because people like more fan page so people also will go on your site by facebook fam page if they like your product page.

11. lindadale

lindadale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think this decision is really very good because today online shopping specially t shirts online is in a boom.everyone want to go online for shopping than the traditional way of shopping so it will be a really great business for you.

12. smo9marketing

smo9marketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. Do exactly what the biggest t-shirt sellers did.
    2. DON'T

The first part will put you in their shoes. You'll see their world.
    The second part is where you change the game and kick their ass.