i need a cheap yet professional website

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by dbeggs, Apr 1, 2009.

1. dbeggs

dbeggs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I need a website with secure payment forms, a seperate login for members to view video content (not what you think if anybody is wondering) :p and i also need something that is going to look at least somewhat professional until i can afford something better. Does anyone know anybody who can provide such a service? i dont want to add paypal buttons on a website. i need a .ca domain. I know that the domain name i want is unregistered. And i also need something or somewhere where i can host this video content other than itunes as a podcast option. I want to be able to have people either using itunes and paying to view the videos, being able to download from the website in different resolutions (low or high) or being able to possibly view the content streamed from the website. all in a secure log in only environment. I have a budget of about $500-1000. Sorry i didn't organize my thoughts very well there but i think you will understand what i mean. by professional look i can give you an idea.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you wrote a spec or description of your website requirements? Having a clear description of what you want will help your designer understand what you need and will increase the chances of them building a site that meets your requirements.

Do you have any local contacts who are into web-design? Or you could simply try contacting local web-design agencies and asking them if they might be interested in quoting for your project. Having a spec drawn up will be a great help here.

You could also look for a web-designer through the various webmaster forums and freelance sites. You can view quite a few of them at our Useful Online Business Resources.

3. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can find a lot of useful resources like what Fergal has told you.
    Go to freelance sites and outsource your project there.
    But you must be ready, they are not going to be cheap. :)

And for your requirement, it will be quite expensive especially
    you want to create a member login.

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's a thread on Omniserve in this forum. You might want to check their prices. The owner of omniserve is also a member of this forum.

5. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it looks like you are either going to need a Joomla based site or one coded from scratch. A Joomla site, if you are willing to learn how to run it, will not cost that much to set up, and if you want to learn the backend, it is fairly easy to add widgets, plugins, and the like. If you don't want to learn any programming, and just want someone to build the site, it will cost you several thousand dollars.

I think you need to come up with a solid proposal with all of the features you current know you want, and then solicit that. The sky's the limit when it comes to costs, but there are cheaper ways to get a secure site with multiple user logins, administrator panels, etc.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Flash, do you think that the OP (Original Poster) could save a lot of money by asking a developer to build him a site using an off-the-shelf CMS like Joomla, as opposed to building the complete site from scratch?

7. omniserve

omniserve
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes you have to be realistic in what you might want versus your budget.

Given that the budget has to include a domain and hosting and SSL cert if you want it secure it doesnt leave much. You also dont say how you will take payment if you arent using paypal as there could be additional costs there too.

You best option is to get a cheap freelancer but you will have to sacrifice quality / functionality or the other option is to do it yourself but it doesn't sound like you have the necessary skills or knowledge so your not going to end up with what you want.

Either way its a huge ask for what you can afford

Regards