I Have Some Dilemmas...

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by O'Neal, May 1, 2013.

1. O'Neal

O'Neal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm interning for an employee relations/HR position at a glass manufacturing plant in Georgia.

The first two issues I've been trying to resolve are not getting resolved.

First, there is a huge problem with absenteeism. The guys that know how to perform don't want to show up and the mediocre guys show up late and fool around while working. My first plan was to threaten write-ups and reduce absences by 20% in 8 weeks, but that didn't work so well.

Second, there are a lot of issues with accidents. The accidents aren't major, but I'm trying not to reach that point. I've tried training videos, suggesting better work gloves and protection, but the workers are just stubborn. The plan was to reduce accidents 40% over 12 weeks, but I'm coming up short with only 2 more weeks left.

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Aren't there pay cuts for extra leaves? It should prevent many workers from remaining absent for more than the usual leaves.

How do you deal with the accidents? I mean the company pays for the expenses when anyone gets hurt?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Has the company got a safety statement in place? Perhaps a term could be added to new employee contracts, obliging them to wear gloves during their employment. Something else I have seen work well for accident reduction, is to have a notice board that shows the number of days since the last accident. This can focus employees on safety and get them to work together to reduce accidents.