I have a great website idea

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by Dimus, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Dimus

Dimus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know everyone probably hears this several times a day but I'm positive my idea would make a great deal of money. The problem is...I don't really want to do it. I'm not so much a doer as a thinker. I think up ideas and people do them to their benefit.

It's such a good idea though, that I want it to be put into practice but it would be nice to gain some reward for my idea so I want to "sell" it to someone but I have no clue how to go about this or if it's even possible. Is there someone out there with some pointers?

2. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you can do much better than others on your ideas.It is because you know better how to handle the situation if something went wrong.So, in my suggestion just start working on your ideas.Every one wants to earn money its good you have ideas but its bad that you are not applying it

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

99% of all great ideas never get off the ground. If you really want to sell an idea you need to make it waterproof. Detail everything, this includes detailed projections of associated costs and possible income.

Usually an idea is only as good as the person behind it so people may not want to risk their money on it.

Have you considered entering into a partnership with someone? You can be the thinker and they could be the business person.

4. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with seanstevens partnership with some is much better to just looking for people to sell your idea..start finding partners

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Dimus, thanks for joining and asking your business questions. A partnership sounds like something that could work for you. Have you also considered setting the website up and then selling it? Lots of people do quite well from doing business that way. They enjoy setting the site up but not actually managing it long term.

6. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I second Sean and Fergal JV or partner with someone who has the skills to action the ideas, or work out what you need to do and outsource it. Then if you don't want to run with it after it is up and proven flip it

7. akashjshah

akashjshah
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Set up a free Wordpress or Google website and use Adwords to market it

8. TRG21

TRG21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, way better off that way and if it is such a good idea, then you will be able to have all the money instead of just a little if someone bought it.

9. Dimus

Dimus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

The idea for the website is rather simple but actually putting it into practice would be difficult as it requires what I would consider a good deal of skill to do. I know a bit of web design but not enough for this project so I would have to go into a partnership, like some of you said, to actually do it. Finding someone to do this for me is a problem but in my mind there's a bigger one.

Assuming I go into a partnership to do this how would I protect my idea? If I told the designer of the website what I have planned he could very well take the idea and do it himself (like I said, it's a simple idea). I would assume some sort of contract would be needed but I have no money to hire a lawyer or whoever is needed to write up a contract.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What country are you based in Dimus?

What you would need to do is to get anyone you discuss your idea with, to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA). From Wikipedia:
    You can find lots of good NDA templates, such as this one on the web.

There comes a time when you have to exercise some trust and share your idea with other people. Yes, there is an element of risk that they might steal the idea, but if you keep it in your head it will never go anywhere. The real value of an idea comes from it's implementation. Lots of people have great ideas of their own that they don't progress and an idea can only be successful when it is successfully implemented.

Good luck with it and please do keep us updated with your thoughts and progress.

11. Dimus

Dimus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the help. I think that solves my problems for the time being.

I'm based in the US and actually headed back to school in a couple months so I should have a nice pick of willing web designers with the necessary skills to get this thing done.

Thanks again.

12. OllieMcPhee

OllieMcPhee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let us know how you get on though... always interesting to watch from grass roots up :)

13. motivated

motivated
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First step for your idea is have faith that everything will work out for your good. Good ideas in your head are bad ideas at the bank. They don't convert.

14. Dimus

Dimus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have two more questions.

I know someone who might be able to design my website but he lives in Brazil. Do my legal documents such as that NDA have any hold in Brazil?

Also, if I pick up anyone for the job what type of documents do I need for a contract? I mean...I would suppose there is some sort of contract we need to sign to finalize who gets paid what.

15. lokoutshop

lokoutshop
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lokoutshop

Hi,

Nice information are you share with us thanks very much and you don't worry about it it's very simple first of all you make a best proposal of your new ideas and then you show you it well educated business personalities which are have pay money to you for your proposal and ideas. it's my thinking.
    Thanks &
    Good luck
    Regards:-
    Locksmith:)

16. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can specify on the NDA which laws apply to it and also the Court that will have jurisdiction over any eventual disputes. Unfortunately it won't completely prevent all the inconvenience and headache you might have with an international legal dispute.

My suggestion is that you try to obtain the most information and references about this people in Brazil before you do any business with them. Also get their full name(business name if the case), addresss, phone number, tax registration ID
    ( in Brazil this ID is called CGC for companies and CPF for individuals).

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An JungleKid says, the NDA can specify which jurisdiction's laws apply. However, you must think about it in practical terms, if someone in Brazil breaches the agreement, will you really be in a position to take legal action against them?

If you do some background research on the Brazilian business it should give you an indication as to whether they are the type of people to steal ideas from their clients. Look at the type of businesses that they have worked with before and take a view as to whether they are professional in the way they do things.

Most developers will provide you with a contract before they start working for you. Ask this company if they have one and then read through it carefully, to ensure that there are no terms in it that you don't like. Don't be afraid to ask for terms to be removed or altered. Many businesses will have a standard contract that they will alter if need be, in order to get the business.

Please keep us updated on your thoughts and progress.