I got tons of ideas, but how would I get help on making them real

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by Chrisj0401, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I got tons of ideas that I think can cash on from. I have a passion to learn a lot, strong interest in being a leader; I'm extremely creative and determined to not give up on anything I believe in, like creative business ideas.

Here are some of my flaws that I think may affect my ideas coming to life.

- I got no experience in running a company with employees, especially within the fields/industries of the ideas I got in mind.

- Lack of education, currently about to start my college education for Business Administration, and then get hands on experience within the office environment and hopefully within my field/industries of my ideas.

- I have tons of ideas that are spread over a lot of different fields and industries.

- I have zero capital available and may be until I get my education completed (A.S. Business Administration.)

Q: Would it be possible to get funding (if I can) and just hire someone like a CEO to run the company while I am a founder and CCO?

Q: How would I convince investors to invest into my ideas, if I have no experience in any business background, have a lack of technical education, and only have an idea that I strongly think is profitable?

Q: Also how would I check on my ideas would be profitable based on research, what kind of research would I need to do (if possible alone)?

Most of my ideas are from areas I am a knowledgeable customer of already, i.e. digital distribution I think is lacking on the internet, and I think it can be very profitable right now and in the coming years it will boom. (That’s only just 1 of my ideas I have in mind, but you should get the picture I'm trying to paint for yall)

2. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Start with the research.

Use google, yahoo, amazon, ebay, and any other site that you can search trends on, see if any of your ideas fits in to something trendy, over short term, and, mainly, over long term.

The research is the basis of everything, no investor will give you half a first look without seeing something that works, or, looks like it will.

Education is not as important as the idea, and, a well laid plan of action to show possible financial sources.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Knowing your flaws and where your standing right now is a start. With that, you already know which areas you need to build up on. You said that you lack knowledge, education and experience. As for education, that will already be taken care of when you go to college. From there, you will also meet like-minded individuals who you might want to pull along when you decide to start your new business endeavor. Working for a similar company as the one you want to start would also be a good way to increase your experience in that field.

As for research, I guess Pendelton pretty much answered that question.

4. Bubblegum Heaven

Bubblegum Heaven
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd try to cherry pick some of those ideas

Which ones do you have the strongest beliefs in? Which ones do you have the most experience in? Which ones are you most equipped to handle? Which ones seem most realistic? And which ones would fit in best with whatever you are already doing in life?:confused:

I would pare down the list as much as possible and focus more attention into the possibilities which more directly mesh into your current/future lifestyle. For example, lets say one of your best and most realistic ideas has to do with cell phones. You might consider taking a marketing class with your product being cell phones so you get a college class plus a chance to learn more about about selling cell phones. So you've kind of meshed your idea into your normal life without putting any more investment into it then you normally would have.

I've found that often the best ideas, at least for myself, are the ones that seem to fit as effortlessly as possible into whatever seems to be going on in my life.

Bobby "BOOM BOOM" Bickerson
    Commissioner
    The BUBBLEGUM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Check us out at bubblegumheaven.com

5. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok let’s say one of my ideas is opening a Digital Distribution business online. And since this industry business is still small but has a lot of opportunity to grow and boom, how would I research something is still soo new? Besides being a consumer myself to digital distribution, and reading a lot of articles anything relating to digital distribution, like in the video game business & music business. Should I just hire a research firm to do the most accurate research for me?

6. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can easily get funds if you have a gr8 idea.

But thats not the point - You can try Internet marketing with ZERO investments :)

Just read more in BAF about IM and how you can start up.

7. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Chris, You would check out the trends, bandwidth, how to handle DMCA complaints, and all the other legal aspects of this.

Bubble, you need to prioritize your list and research each one. If the list is long you need to do a feasibility study on that prioritized list to see what all the costs and legal aspects are.

8. kiawah

kiawah
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They often say it is not about winning the race it is about deciding which race to run it. Select and research your best idea. Lack of a college degree and working out of his garage did not hurt Bill Gates.

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's often the case when you want to open a business that is still in it's developing stages. Not a lot of info is available regarding the subject. Hiring a research firm to do research for you is one way to get info but you'd need to have big funds to do this. You might also want to do this by yourself or with a couple of friends. If you're really that determined to go into this line of business, then you'd want to get all the info you can get your hands on and start your research from there.

10. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ok lets say I get research, how would I know what is research and what totally useless information? Like for example, how would i get data or information on trends without seeing it myself. For example, in digital distribution iTunes is doing great I've heard with music, and in video games Steam is doing great as well, and yet another is Amazon with their eBooks on the Kindle is also doing great, all three has I think will boom as technology becomes more easier to use, and cheaper to buy for all demographics. Is just getting articles based on trend changes is good enough research? How about if I need set close to very accurate numbers that I need in funds? That would be extremely hard to really get the numbers on anything that is new like digital distribution.

11. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There isn't really any totally useless information when you are research a new niche. Like Edison with his light bulb, he learned a lot of way not to make one, and none of what he learned was useless.

12. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are tons of ideas on every people mind. But, it's not sure that every of their idea will evolve to life making ideas. In oder to test your ideas, one thing you should do is try - Share, Explaining them to your friends and even at different Forums. The more your idea gets appreciated, the more you're on. But be aware your idea may get leaked or copied.

Always be confident, but don't thing too that every of your site will be implemented succesfully. Sometimes, A small idea can make you millionaire while a appreciated idea may not. But, it's bitter truth. Some appreciated ideas or small idea may go height for months, and they may get down resulting debts to the founder as well. So, always have backup. Think alternative. Don't invest your everything on one business that may kill you. Always be clever-mind and have correct marketing knowledge.

13. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

exactly what I'm afraid of is sharing it. Even if I go patent the idea, I could be wasting my money patenting the idea when the idea may be worthless or not work. I'd love to share my ideas to truly know if its profitable or good, but I think they would be profitable since I am a consumer myself to all of my ideas and I as an consumer is missing and needing certain things, which right now no company has. Then my mind just says I am willing to buy this idea, even as a knowledgeable/loyal consumer I think others would as well.. I dont get any ideas that I am not a consumer or not a knowledgeable consumer of. Most or all of my ideas is reinventing current ideas into being better, faster, and easier to use.

14. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But how much are you sure that your idea will work without implementing or testing them? Always remember that even thou if you implemented your idea without sharing, there is 100% chance that your idea will be copied by other if it is highly successfull.

Like you can Google search with yahoo search and hotmail search. Now, there are many search engines. Do you think everybody had this idea in mind? One implemented, and other simply copied it.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Chris.

You will have a better chance of succeeding if you can find a partner with skills that compliment your own existing skills and knowledge. Perhaps you have some friends or acquaintances that have skills in the areas where you feel that you are lacking?

When you talk about digital distribution are you considering setting up a business model for distributing existing digital products or are you considering creating original digital products?

16. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ideas are like trash of mind which unless until put into action are of no significance..Don't waste your time in thinking, put your thoughts into action..experience is the best teacher..it might be possible that you have to face many difficulties for some time...then all will get back to track slowly with passage of time..that's the way you can get into some action otherwise you will be keep on thinking about your ideas & problems associated with them allowing them to be a trash of your mind forever,,..!!!:)

17. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

scifi, I am not sure what to make about your post. It seems way way way off to me, to not think?

18. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think scifi is saying that if Chris doesn't implement his ideas, then it would just be useless.

Anyway getting back to the main topic of the thread, I like Fergal's suggestion of getting a partner. When you feel overwhelmed by the number of things that you need to get done for your new business idea, then having someone to help out would be a good idea.

Chris, I think that you should take it a step at a time. Don't go immediately and apply for patent but do your research first. You can even do surveys to see if people will be interested in your new product. You don't have to mention what the new product actually does but mention something that might be similar to it.

19. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's what I'm saying. Without implementing your ideas, how can you be successfull? You're afraid to share your ideas too, but that is neglecting your ideas to be hidden.

This is not 100% true? As often, your idea can be stole by such partners of your skills? This may be because he find your idea more creative than his and he want to head forward than you. Also, a master-piece idea can be created by anyone after all we are all normal human beings. ;)

20. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes you're right DEADMAN but in reality, nothing is 100% true or safe. Your partners might try to steal your idea but still you have to take that chance. You have to trust someone with the idea sooner or later. If you don't, I'm afraid that you'll never get this idea of yours implemented.