I got cash, but I want rags

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Will Passmore, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Will Passmore

Will Passmore
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

The title is a reference to from rags to riches which is about JK Rowling going from nothing to everything (a $billion).
    However, I personally am the opposite.

I have grown up wealthy, around wealthy people. Through sharing classrooms with billionaires, to having friends who inherit millions upon their eighteenth birthday, to just being around it.
    However, many of my friends are poor. My trips to India, Kenya, and many other places around the world have taught me that live is experience; it is enjoyment, and the essentials. It is not about your bank statement, or your car, laptop brand, or clothing. It is not about stock options and a giant budget for the year.

Since realizing this I have been conflicted as my plans for creating a business in the future, while expecting millions and aiming for billions have been trumped. They've been trumped by my single thought that money isn't everything.
    It is tough explaining this to people who "need" money (they actually just think they need it). And the rich buddies wouldn't have a nightmare about losing or giving away their money because even their subconscious most likely sees it as unreasonable!

Anyways, that is what I am going through at the moment and I am curious if any of you have any thoughts on this. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know you are not the only one who is facing this same problem, you just have to step back and see that it's the fact of life. Also if you want to help the growing problem maybe starting up and foundation to help the kids and family would be a big help. Or maybe just make a big donations to the already 10's and thousands of foundations that are already out there. Either way whatever you choose to do is the best. Also like you said they need to realize when they actually "need" money or if they just "want" money. Half the problem with people who have no money is that they don't put proroites first. Like I wouldn't do my hobbies before I got food. They just dump their money on stuff they done even need then they just lose it all when they need it.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It sounds as if you are in two minds as to whether you want to make money or not Will?

Our relationship and beliefs surrounding money are a big factor in whether or not we make it and more importantly how we look after it once we do make it. I've done some backpacking in Asia and as a result of my experiences there, I can confidently say that the happiest people I have ever met in my life had no money.

I didn't grow up with money, but had the good fortune to make some decent income in my career. Unfortunately I made some investments in property before the property collapse here in Ireland and have now got a lot of negative equity. Perhaps my views on money are similar to yours Will, on the one hand I'd like to have lots of it and on the other hand I'd like to develop as a person to a point where I don't even think about money and that I'm very happy with or without it.

4. Will Passmore

Will Passmore
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Yeah I am at conflict for sure. It goes back to something called "scheme" which is the foundation and beliefs that we grow up with. They influence us throughout our lives and they are very difficult to change. Very difficult.
    While my conscious mind says otherwise, my schema influences me to consider money, wealth, and power over a lot of other important things.

5. patrick.s

patrick.s
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally I think that there is nothing wrong with making many. It's about how you use it. I think that God has blessed people with there riches and in return they should help those who need it. That doesn't mean just handing out money or just donating to an organization. People don't need cash. What they need is a safe place to live, some food to eat, a way to give there kids education. Use it to purchase plots of land to build houses so people can live in them. Buy food and send it to them. If your going to make money make sure you use it for good.

That's just my opinion on.(I may have got a little off track. If I did i'm sorry I didn't mean to.)
    Personally even if I made millions I would rather live a simple life with my funds going to a good cause.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I understand that growing up with a particular set of beliefs could make it more difficult to be successful than growing up with a different set of beliefs. However, they don't need to define us. The challenge is to "create our future from the future, not from our past".

I agree with you Patrick, money brings with it the power to do lots of good and to make a positive contribution to the lives of others not as fortunate as ourselves.