I compete with my boss - how do I manage him ?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by catflapuk, Apr 13, 2013.

1. catflapuk

catflapuk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys,

I'm facing a tough situation and need advice urgently to turn things around.

Long story short: it has turned out that I am more knowledgable than my boss (previously co-worker, we did not work together closely) which he hates of course - all this in an industry with a long learning curve, means he cannot catch up in a few months or so. Co-workers come to me when they have a question or want to share something and so do clients. Also, I have reason to believe that he did not communicate my responsibilities and accomplishments correctly to the higher ups, but due to various changes I now have more access to them and they become aware of the situation. There was a time when I had no access to senior management but everything (every idea etc.) had to go via him - I doubt he gave me credit for it.

I believe that my boss doesnt have to know my job inside out but ought to manage the team, but it seems that he'd like to work in that area and thought as my boss he'd automatically become the go-to person for co-workers and clients. This isnt the case.

I feel that because I know this part of our business (which creates a lot of revenue) very well and almost always come up with good advice for problems etc. he feels threatened and maybe inadequate. I also feel that he hinders my career progression and tries to keep me out of certain things. He does not want me to learn more, interact with other departments or just look good in front of others. I am an expert in what I do and am ready for the next step but he would not let me.

Over the past weeks I got more and more the impression that he is playing against me. He gives new tasks to a co-worker but never to me. I told him before that I would like more constructive feedback, so he knows I want to learn new things. He said that I am doing a very good job (*sigh*) and there isnt anything I could improve. The tasks my co-worker gets are not particularly high profile and demanding, but because he keeps pushing things in her direction while I get nothing I start feeling excluded. I do not know whether he is doing this on purpose or whether he thinks I would not want to do them. My co-worker is still learning and I do not think he sees her as a competitor. He could give me other tasks which would mean delegating stuff either him or I can do only so he'd rather do it himself.

I'd like to get on well with my boss and at the same time move my career without intimidating him. How do I do that ? How can I be assertive about my accomplishments so he does not feel threatened ? I feel if this continues there will soon be favouritism in the team or I will get bullied before I even know.

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As an employee, the first rule to remember is follow the instruction. You can give suggestion but the final decision is still depends on your boss.
    In your case, you can either stay with the company and just do the task assigned, or leave the company and find the company that can give you better opportunity to learn new thing

3. Forrester080

Forrester080
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just do what you think it's right. Because if you are better than your boss, someone higher will promote you or replace him by you. If you want to maintain a good relationship with him, you may act as if you need his idea about the problem or asking him about this and that (something that he knows well) in front of the others and let him show himself. That's the way to go.