Hurbel2k bought a DOTcom domain

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Hurbel2k, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys,

It has been done. I just registered my future company DOTcom address!

I haven't posted here for a long time. Last year in autumn I ended my shoestring freelancer self employed business and just became an employee in a big software company. They pay me top dollar for little work. In fact I earn way more than I can spend and money is piling up on my bank account. But after a while I started to miss the challenge. I miss being in the driver's seat.... But I didn't want to restart the shoestring thing again. Shoestring business is something you can do when you have no other option, but you should try to get into a better spot by all means.

Therefore, in last winter I decided to buy a domain and start a company, supported by the money of my full time job. Hell! Buying a domain can be so difficult. It's easy to find niche domain names. Just slap 3 keywords in a row and you can often find unregistered names. This time however I was looking for a generic company name. Totally new experience for me. My keword domains never needed to memorable, it was just keywords to the max.

Let's look at a good company name. Dot Com unregistered. No brands registered. No companies registered. No swearword in any of the top 10 world languages, or better, in no language at all. Short and memorable. Easy to pronounce in any language. Generic. Good luck searching!

I suffered. I used dictionaries in many languages. I used several weekends from Saturday morning until Sunday evening. I used the time during my commute. My brain was sweating. I was about to give up. I was getting drunk hoping to be more creative.

And finally I have the result. Work paid of.

- 6 letter
    - Does not appear in any language
    - Not registered on any domain
    - Sounds magnificant, lighthearted, magical all at once
    - Totally generic, can be used for fashion, luxury, hotel, software or machinery. This is as generic as it can get.
    - easy to pronounce for speakers of several top languages, including English and Spanish. Unfortunately not so easy to pronounce for Chinese.

Okay, I know I'm teasing you, and you want to know what I got.

I'll not telling you at this moment, but I promise I will eventually.
    I want to decide first which domains I want to register besides the .com, make brand registrations and everything. When everything is secured and the dust settled I will tell you more.

As I won't give up my full time job things will move rather slow for the next months. In fact I want to use the income of my fulltime job to move forward my own business. No more wasting hours on tedious tasks, when I can just outsource them. I don't have a concrete business model right now, in fact I want to try out a number of things, do market research, find supliers for tedious tasks and see works, what makes sense, what I enjoy doing. I hope I can give you a full writeup somewhere in late 2012.

I feel so happy now. Cheers!

See you on the forums.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done Hurbel2k, glad to hear that everything is going so well for you and I look forward to hearing what your domain is and visiting your new site.