How to..?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by brad1985, Oct 9, 2008.

1. brad1985

brad1985
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am studying programming and web design in a local university. I wonder if anyone can help me with my homework. I must build an eCommerce site, upload it and get some traffic in around a month. Any ideas on what I should include to increase the traffic? Where can I find someone to collaborate with me and maybe we can build the web’s next big hit. Thanks.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Brad you will get some excellent suggestions in the "0 to $500 a Month from Blogging" article listed here. The points in the article can be applied to any type of site, not just a blog.

When you say an eCommerce site, does it have to be a site that sells something using a shopping cart?

Will you consider building a site that depends on advertising revenue?

3. johnaydan

johnaydan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting article there admin, thanks for sharing it...

4. brad1985

brad1985
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I love your thread, and "0 to $500 a Month from Blogging" offered me tips that I really need, thank you!!!

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you give us some more info on your assignment Brad, we will be able to provide you with more helpful ideas and suggestions.

6. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That isn't hard to do Brad.
    You can be set up with a little money maker in about three to nine hours and have three weeks, or more, to promote it and drive traffic to it using a variety of methods.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What type of site are you suggesting here Pendelton?

8. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I have an aboundance of PLR (Private Label Rights) and MRR (Master Reseller Rights) ebooks. A market exists for information, so, selling it is an option.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Also call in all favours and ask your friends and family to help get you traffic too! They can visit and ask their friends to as well. Freebies can be good as well. Lots of people write an ebook for example then give it away to draw traffic initially.

You being a web design guy could also offer the chance to win a new logo designed exclusively for them or something like that if they visit. You could work out the details of how later but the point is everybody loves something for nothing. :)

Have a look at the most popular e-commerce sites in the niche you're targeting and see what they're doing on that front- they might inspire you. :)

Don't suppose you have friends in high places involved in the student's newsletter that could do a feature on your site once it's up and plug it?

Are you allowed to spend money at all? How about offering $20 in Amazon vouchers in a draw? The winner drawn at random from those who send you an email via the site's Contact Me form saying Enter Me! (which makes them actually visit rather than your email getting passed around and no one going to the site).

It could work if plenty of hard up students, in fact more than just students, knew about it. That would be where signing up for forums comes in. But you need to not spam, remember.

ok, that's my best shot for today. I have a thumping headache so excuse anything that's incoherent. :)

10. brad1985

brad1985
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all the answers guys, I am seeking to build a site like eLance, myTino, oDesk on which you can have a lot of friends and get a daily update of jobs on which you can participate in, if anyone has an idea of what the script would look like, i would love to check it out. The Admin's link is really helpful, but I think I need someone who is willing to go all the way with me and the site. Thanks!

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Brad have you been given a deadline date, for when you need the site built?

If you want to get an idea of what the script will look like you should visit your competing sites and list their features. This will allow you to spec out what you want in your site. Have you considered using a forum script?

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You don't have much time left by the looks of it, brad. Your original post saying "I must build an eCommerce site, upload it and get some traffic in around a month" was 20 days ago. Might be a bit late and ambitious to try to start hunting down a script like that.

Do you have to be able to take money for the demo, brad? I believe it was asked already if you need a shopping cart to be included for the project.

13. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That is a lot ambitious for this type of project. A far simpler e-store can be had in a very short time, and, had the month, for OP date, been used actual money could have been generated.

14. Big_0n3

Big_0n3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to get some traffic you need to make some seo to that site : directory submision, to get some backlinks and so on...