How To Write A Business Plan With No Finances

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by emar, Nov 17, 2014.

1. emar

emar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I have a couple of ideas for small businesses, maybe not so small, but one in particular always springs up.

To my knowledge there are no internet based radio setups where I live, plenty of FM stations with online streams.
    I'd like to focus more on web technologies, for the set up and management of multiple internet-based radio channels.
    Sort of like a network of internet radio stations under one roof, easier to create, more affordable than F.M. licensing.
    I'm only saying that because I've talked to IMRO about licensing costs, it's not cheap, but it's cheaper than FM licensing.

I would need to think about property, where we could create sound proofed rooms for each station.
    Maybe I'm thinking too big? why can't I just have one station? I haven't an answer to that question,
    Any project I've done on the web has been for multiple audio streams. I just think it would be brilliant
    to have those facilities with different music genres, everyone can pick what style/radio channel they'd like to play on.
    Providing a platform for local artists, DJs, broadcasters and especially for students who are around 9 months of the year.

The cheapest place I've seen on a local property website was 3,000 per month, I ask myself.. where could I get that kind of money.
    It makes me wonder about all those properties sitting vacant around the city for the last 5,6, 7 years. no one can afford them?

A lot of students pass through colleges here each year, many taking music production, radio programming, journalism and multimedia courses.
    But the thing is, most local stations can't facilitate all these student's needs, most students look for work experience in radio stations, studios etc.
    I spent two years myself studying music, multimedia relates subjects, most students tried to get work placements in radio before anything else.

I thought this would be a great opportunity to build on something I've been involved in for many years, setting up, running internet radio.
    That part is probably the easiest with good servers, but the rest is starting to feel like a pipe dream, I know it's not a small project.

Not sure if I want to spend my days serving food and drinks, but if it helps pay the rent, electricity, internet and other costs,
    I though about turning the front area into a relaxing cafe style / lunge area, customers could relax and dine while they listen to live music.
    I guess that's my culinary side showing, I did spend many years working for minimum wage in kitchens, but you never lose the passion to cook.

It seems difficult to write a business plan based on the facts I have no financial support, so how would you write your business plan?

Just thought I'd throw it out there and maybe get some good advice.

Thanks in advance

#1 emar, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  2. emar

emar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Has anyone set up anything similar to this?

#2 emar, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  3. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your business plan is your compass. It will help you map out a new course, and navigate through unchartered territory. Whether you're writing a business plan for the first time or the fifth time, it doesn't have to be hard. In fact, if you write a lean plan or a one-page pitch first, you may find you actually enjoy it.

4. emar

emar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Mark,

Do you think it is something worth putting out there?
    I'm honestly thinking how will It make money, other than radio advertisements, and it's still internet radio there's 1000's of them.
    But i'm also thinking, why couldn't this be as successful as traditional radio formats, look at tunein, di.fm and somafm for example.
    As far as I know they turned their internet radio networks into real businesses, but it's not easy to get in touch with them and ask for advice.

I started on a business plan a few weeks back, got to about 25% and stopped, the first few pages explain how there's a constant flow
    Of media, radio, music production students passing through the colleges near by each year, it would definitely attract those students.
    Not to mention the chance for other local talent to get involved and do their own show, like work placements or work experience.
    Maybe it's not something that could be funded by the government I just thought about that.