How to tell Google, which page to rank if two web pages are targeting the same keyword?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Jennifer Martin, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Jennifer Martin

Jennifer Martin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Friends,

I am not able to understand one scenario, please help me.

One of my competitor suppose abc.com, they have mentioned companies product in the home page and having dedicated page for each product.

Let's assume product as "boys shoe" they have just used the term once or twice in the home page. On the other hand they are having the separate page /boys-shoe, which is optimized i.e used the targeted keyword in the URL, H1, Meta Title, Keyword Density, Alt tag, etc.

But whenever a user is searching for "Boys Shoe" in Google, their home page is ranking and not the dedicated landing page.

My question is why home page is ranking instead of having an optimized landing page i.e. /boys-shoe page.

Experts please help me with your suggestion.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

First, your question, the way it is phrased, is irrelevant. You do not tell Google which page to rank, at least not in this scenario. There are ways to tell Google whether to rank, or even index, a web page, but they do not apply in this situation. If you have two pages, using the same keyword, Google will decide which page is worth ranking, based on which is more relevant to the search.
    Let's compare it to trying to sell a car. If your car is not selling, how do you get more responses to an ad? Paint it, or wash it if the body is in good condition. Make the chrome nice and shiny, wash the tires and wheels. The transmission may be shot, and the engine doesn't run, but, in a picture, it looks cool. Of course, once those who respond find out that the engine doesn't run and the transmission is shot, no one will buy it.
    So, how does this relate to your problem? You can put the keyword anywhere you want - Headings, Title Tag, Description, you can match the exact keyword density Google wants(even though no one knows what that is), but if the content of the page is not what the searcher is looking for, it's not going to rank. The page that will rank is the one that Google believes is more relevant to the search, based on the content of the page.

3. towertech

towertech
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Really Good Question.

It;s seem to good that you optimize your web pages for separated keywords.

But you don't able to get your rank on your targeted keyword right?

It;s due to link building mainly link building are build on your home page that;s why your website rank on home page.

If you want to rank your website on your targeted web pages then you need to build link on your targeted pages.

Thanks

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Towertech makes a good point. Many webmasters make the mistake of sending all their links back to the home page, because that is the "entrance", so to speak, to their website. If the homepage does include information related to the search, including the keyword(s), that's the page that will rank. If the relevant page receives very little, if any, links, then Google will believe it is not relevant to the search.

5. Jennifer Martin

Jennifer Martin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Joseph.Shivell & Towertech for sharing your valuable opinion. This forum is really very helpful for me as I get my each and every query solved.