How to take care of absconding employees issue?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by surge, Apr 18, 2013.

1. surge

surge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a small startup company and so far two of our employees simply quit without informing me.

Being a registered business and all, i do provide every employee an offer letter so that it can help them ahead in finding another job.

It's not much of a loss to me, but i wouldn't want them to come back after months saying hey, see i have your offer letter but i never signed any exit formality papers or resignation letter so i am still a part of this company and you are still entitled to pay me for all these months.

I don't think any decent employee would normally do anything like that and if they did, that would be bad and may be illegal, but i just want to be on a safe side. How are you dealing with it? I already keep resignation clauses in offer letters, should i simply print out an absconding letter and sign it by myself? I don't have HR executives yet to take care of such stuffs and this is like my first time.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You could simply include a clause on the offer letter stating a start date and that they are not entitled to any benefits if they don't start on that date. Would that work for you?

3. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another thing that would work out is to make sure that all the staff you hired are on the same standards by maintaining a attendance register. You could easily defend yourselves saying that they donot have the required number of working hours to demand a payout, provided that you keep the working hours within reasonable ranges. My mother and father, both looking after their own business has a very efficient staff team because they ensure that all their employees are on the same page with every issues.

4. shane

shane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I realize that some time has passed now but I would still have them sign a separation notice/agreement and, if they are not willing to sign it, I would at minimum send a copy of the certified letter via registered mail and keep records of having sent it. Otherwise they may continue to be a liability for your company. I would also make a note in each of their personnel files that they quit without notice and should not be rehired in the future.

5. platnumcn

platnumcn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As fergal mentioned, you should have employee contract and a clause stating that there has to be a notice period irrespective of the size of your business. I know what hard work goes into running small businesses, as they have to go through a lot of competition. So, people working with you can get a lot of experience and can easily jump on another train where better perks are available.

Dont wait and Get a clause already :)

• Like Like x 1