How to stop staring at my laptop screen?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by pinkblondi, Jun 11, 2009.

1. pinkblondi

pinkblondi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, I just have one wish, to unplug from the web and come back into the real life! Where is my blue pill?
    I'm a 21 years old massagist from NY, and when I come back after work, tiered from standing all day long, I just turn on my laptop, and suddenly, it's 2 am. How do you manage to keep your offline life, when you have a pc at home?
    My obssesion is icq, blogs, myspace and any web place where you can meet interesting people. Forums are new to me, but I thought to give it a try.

ps: I'm a total newbee at forums, so I'm sorry if posted in the wrong place, just got here and saw this one.. Please be kind to show me the right place where you can just talk with people.

2. Superbs

Superbs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all welcome to BAF forums, i am a newbie here myself :)

i think the following section would have been right for this thread,
    http://www.businessadviceforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

well i would say it's the same issue with every person trying to make some quick buck online or who is addicted to sites or softwares :) even if you try to let of this addiction it always follows you as it's on ur mind all time! the best thing to do is don't think you have to completely leave the web, reduce the time u spend online each day and this would gradually give u alot of time to give to your offline life :) try to make your mind set on what you actually want and choose what's best for you.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Ppinkblondi.

I used to do the same thing. Then I started setting an alarm every evening, to remind me to get offline. Once I did this for a while the discipline came naturally and I didn't need the alarm anymore.

You could also try the free service from http://www.rescuetime.com/, it helps you to look back at how you have been spending your time online. If you see that you are wasting some of your time, this knowledge gives you the opportunity to deal with it.

Ask yourself regularly if what you are doing is bringing you closer to your goals. If it's not, ask yourself what more useful thing you could be doing.

If all this doesn't work, start asking yourself "what kind of person you want to be" and how would that person spend their online time.

But we'd be delighted if you spent plenty of time with us here on BAF.

4. Superbs

Superbs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice tips there fergal, would definitely try the alarm option :)

5. Bluman09

Bluman09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been in the same situation as you are. Only thing which helped me was to call my internet provider and tell them to cut off my internet connection for one month and they did it. Now I have connection again but I won't go back to old times when I just were behind my computer and had no offline life at all. I know my tip is a bit over the top but it helped me over the problem.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Bluman09. Your idea is quite drastic but it is great that it worked for you, that's the important thing.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've started setting my oven timer to go off after one ortwo hours. Sounds nuts I know! The reason I use that is because I have to physically get off my butt and leave the room I'm in to turn it off. If I had an alarm clock at my side, I'd just turn it off and continue from where I left off. Having to go in the kitchen breaks the cycle and then gives me a minute to look at what I've achieved in that last hour or so.

I freely admit I can't be without it because I use it for work and play. It does become an addiction of sorts if you let it. You have to build in time to be offline consciously or you never shall. Make arrangements to see offline friends or take part in offline activities outside the home at least a few times a week. Outside the home is important. The closer you are to your pc, the more tempted you'll be to turn it on.

Don't let social networks rule your life. Review all the messages you've looked at on them in the last week and I guarantee you 95% of them could have waited a few hours or day before you got round to reading them without the sky falling in. ;) If you really want your life back and feel you can't find that balance alone, give your keyboard and mouse for a month to a friend for safekeeping. That will force you to be without it and to rediscover ways to spend your time and energy, but is not as drastic as Bluman's suggestion.

Welcome aboard, pinkblondi and Bluman. :)

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the Business Advice Forum pinkblondi. I think that staring at your laptop has become some sort of an addiction for you. As with most addictions, you need discipline to control it or something to replace it with. Do you have any other hobbies or interests that will be able to achieve this purpose? These hobbies/interests should be those that don't involve your laptop or computer.

9. aoh2

aoh2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I reckon that if you are addicted with your laptop, you should start a new hobby like drawing or watching tv for instance, get active do for a light jog, Solve some crossword puzzles, thats how i don't get addicted too much on my computer myself.

10. Norrad

Norrad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Get a girlfriend, pretty soon you will get the "You love your laptop more than me" speech and you will have to give the laptop a break.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Whatever you do, don't reply that you love computer viruses more than her. Sorry couldn't resist, your post reminded me of an old joke.

12. HappyBoy

HappyBoy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can try Hypnosis to break your bad habit. PM me if you are interested.

13. Superbs

Superbs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if you don't mind could you post in some suggestion with hypnosis here, would come in handy for other members too :)

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds very interesting! Like Superbs, I'd also like to hear more.

15. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LOL, that sounds suspiciously like the voice of experience Norrad. ;)

Or... get a partner that's online just as much if not more than you are. There's a reason we have two pc's in my house. My husband and I are as bad as each other. :)

16. Norrad

Norrad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is, my wife introduces me and my notebook to people as Norrad and his mistress :confused:
    She has started setting up computer free schedules for me.

17. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LOL, I think I'd like her! :D

And funny enough, my husband and I were just talking this morning about setting a "movie and a meal night" for us every week. Not necessarily going out, but relaxing with a few steaks on the grill and a new DVD. We both know we need to get away from the computer more and spend quality time with each other if we want to be happy in our relationship together. Relationships are like gardens... you need to tend to them occasionally so they blossom or one day you look and they're full of weeds. We've both been married before so 'get' the weeds part that neglect sows when you get absorbed in work. We're two of a kind in that respect and need to make a conscious effort to remember what we're doing it all for. Embrace the schedules, you might even find you enjoy it. :)

18. juicemane

juicemane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you said you like myspace and places where you can meet people
    maybe you can use the web to find places to meet real people (like clubs, etc)
    and meet people at those clubs instead

19. Neuma

Neuma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree with your opinion, its more healthy to meet a person face to face compared to getting to know people through online social networks.

20. HappyBoy

HappyBoy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically there are two things for a successful hypnosis:
    First step, Work out an extreme suggestion(s) that can "scare" subject to his habit.
    Basically this is a mean to counter bad habit. You should have at least two suggestions. One should give subject a negative thinking of his own habit and another one will make subject think his lovely people around him will hate him if he still continues the habit.

For example: to stop starring at laptop, we can use these suggestions:
    1. Starring Laptop screen for long time every day can cause your face skin get wrinkles easily over time, can harm your eyes and your face will look pale. (negative thinking for subject)
    2. Your girlfriend will soon leave you for sure because your face looks pale and has wrinkles (negative suggestions from his lovely ppl)

After we have good suggestions then record it in a tape (don't too fast when recording, read it slowly and with maskulin tone)

Second step, Put your mind into trance. Sounds complex but easy when you practice it. For beginner: You can focus on your breath. Take a deep breath. Feel relax when exhale. Feel all your body become more relax and more relax when exhaling. Do it over and over. (You can try this at bed when going to sleep)

When our mind already in trance, you can start playing back the recording (you should turn on the tape in advance, make sure it starts when your're in trance - you can adjust the timing after several practice)

When our mind in trance, any suggestions can get absorbed deeply into subconscious level so it will be very effective. If practiced correctly, within 3-7 days the bad habit will go away!

That's it! You just need practice or you can go to hypnotherapist for a help.

p.s. search "self hypnosis" on google to find out more details

#20 HappyBoy, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009