How To Start a Inexpensive TShirt Design Printing Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by cesspadilla, Apr 24, 2012.

1. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good day to all of you. I hope you can help me in starting up my business. I wanted to start small because I only got a minimum amount of money to spent. I know I already said this before. But I was actually am looking to find a way to actually make my ability a business. I like to draw and it is my passion to draw out things I like. So I was thinking if I can do a little tshirt business. I am already making the designs (hand drawn) and I was hoping that I can scan it and do a little photoshop on the design prints. But that isn't my dilemma. The thing is how can I transfer the image into the TShirt. I hope someone can help me. I was actually looking for a tutorial on how to make a DIY screen printing. But I was really not following the instructions and I don't know what kind of things are they using to make it. Please help!

2. RevaxMedia

RevaxMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some websites - I can't find any, allow you to upload your own design and then pay you a commission regarding how many you sell.

3. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have clients that print shirts professionally within the promotional products industry and nearly the entire design process is digital, there's almost no hand drawn artwork. Any custom artwork is usually done using vector drawing and design software. If you can manage to get your drawings into a digital format, you can always find a company that will convert the image into the necessary format for you but they'll charge you for it. The design software, printing equipment and inventory space you're going to need to start a competitive shirt printing business is going to cost quite a bit just to get things off the ground. Like RevaxMedia said, there are websites like zazzle.com that can get all of the dirty work and manufacturing done for a variety of products as long as you can provide them with the design. Remember, your profit margins are going to be VERY small unless you buy in bulk so make sure there's a demand for your product before you print 250+ shirts and get stuck with a box in your living room that's filled with hundreds of shirts nobody wants to buy. The apparel industry is one of the most competitive markets to enter as a beginning entrepreneur so make sure you bring something unique to the table that people will be interested in. A differentiated product or unique concept is key to success and is something that's very hard to accomplish through companies like Zazzle because they provide the same types of products to everyone they do business with. Just be very careful and do your fair share of market research or you'll end up investing a large amount of money in a new company that will most likely never return your initial investment. Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 5
  4. lptprinting

lptprinting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depending on your desired market, there are a few options open to you. I had the same idea, and came across spreadshirt.com, they give you a complete online store that you can upload your images to and have them appear on a variety of products, t-shirts, hats, panties, hoodies, and more. You set the amount of commission you want to make for each design and their cart will automatically adjust the prices shown. Then it's up to you to market it. I haven't had the time to make much of mine, so it's on the backburner right now, but still on my mind. Hope this points you in the right direction :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The model lptprinting suggested sounds like the way to start. Find out how well your designs are received in the marketplace before you commit significant resources. Hopefully people will love your designs but if they don't you will find out without losing your shirt (both literally and figuratively).

6. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well you have a great idea about printing on shirts, You need promote it so that people will know your business.But I think on this one if someone ordered you and it is need to be shipped do you have capacity in it?

• Like Like x 1
  7. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

DIY printing is actually cost you more compare to send out for bulk printing, the material itself is more expensive if you process in small quantity. I suggest you contact those T-shirt manufacturer, they can print out according to your design

• Like Like x 1
  8. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for all the replies. I appreciate that you guys want to help me in making this dream come true. Well I'm just only starting to know the market itself and as much as possible I want it to be little and really money-saving because I am in a tight budget. Maybe I'll start with what lptprinting said. I did some of my own research and I found that there are some websites that do the same thing as the one lptprinting mentioned. Although, the only problem there is I'm gonna buy those printed ones in other countries and sell it here in the Philippines. That'll cost double from the prize range I'm thinking. I want it to be more affordable where Pinoys and foreign buyers can say that "that's not pricey! let's buy that!!!"

@firstchoicecar: I was also gonna ask you guys about that. Since I'm in the Philippines, I want to know what courier service are you using. We got a lot of options and one of the things I'm thinking is LBC.

• Like Like x 1
  9. marketing3

marketing3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are different ways to start any business........... I like to tell you certain points in order start a new business.............................................1- Idea, 2-Investment 3-Planning 4- advertising 5- Marketing............. these are the main points which you have to consider............

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Haley, have you moved on with this idea, since you first posted here?

Would you consider investing in your own printing machine?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Haley - we're both in the Philippines and I think LBC Express is a good option. There's DHL too or UPS. You can check it in here for UPS :

http://www.ups.com/content/ph/en/contact/index.html

and for DHL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DHL_Express

We also have 2GO but I'm not sure if they still allow international shipping services and only for local deliveries only.

Mark T

• Like Like x 1
  12. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do have consider buying a printing machine. I was trying to ask some of my friends how much is it and it's expensive. I'm already starting to do some drawings and maybe photoshop it after.

Thanks Mark. I do know 2GO, but I was considering DHL since it's international.

13. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah DHL is better. Hmm. I just don't know about the costs of shipping through it. About the printing machine, hmm. It's a bit costly and I had canvass before on that one - and it's about Php.75,000.00 and up... Don't know if it is already a quality brand though. I suggest you to ask stores or t shirt shirt printing stall that you can see on malls or shops in Manila.

• Like Like x 1
  14. amcnaron

amcnaron
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To xfer your drawings onto a t-shirt for best quality you are going to need to convert your image into a vector format. A T-shirt screen printing can't read any gradual colors it can only read image or no image. Even my adjusting your contrast on your image you can create an image that can be read by a screen printing machine.

I would recommend printing a handful of options of what you can produce and go about advertising them on three medias. Etsy, Pinterest, and Instagram. Spreading cool images of your clothes should spread if people like the content. Try to get people to wear your clothes at big events (festivals, concerts, gatherings, etc.) If you can get people to talk you can really grow your business.

When you grow further and you start to mass produce your product, you will need to look into business insurance and liability. This is way in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  15. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

T Shirt printing is a growing business on the web and done on large scale. There are a lot of websites offering their services and there is a strong competition among them so its not an easy task. Its very difficult to grab the customers and make your sales among the competitive market. Its going to take a lot of time, money and effort to get started and get costumers.

You have to consider a lot of things for this like thinking about business goals which must be realistic and point out the direction of your business. You must have to make some effort for your business as its not just spending of time. You must be passionate in a specific subject like design and unique style. Targeting specific ordinance will help you to market your products. Market research is one of the most important thing for business promotion. Being updated about whats new in the market can give you a leading edge over your competitors and helps to increase sales.

• Like Like x 1