How to start a forum?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Sherah, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Sherah

Sherah
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hey guys i want to start an arabic forum just for fun but i dont know much about creating real forums i used to usually use the free ones but now i got a job and can afford it, someone told me i have to buy a licence from vbulletin and i just dont know where to go from there can anyone help me and give me good advice on how to start i want to do it on my own so i can learn but i just need ideas on to go where this is an example of the forum i want to make kuwaitup.com/vb i dont care about the price i just want to start a good cool forum

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sherah you don't necessarily need to purchase forum software in order to start a forum. You could start with free forum software such as any of the following;

http://www.phpbb.com
    http://www.mybb.com
    http://punbb.informer.com/
    http://www.simplemachines.org/

Most of the forum software products including vBulletin, come with good manuals that teach you how to install the forum and to get it started. Their own support forums are also great resources for asking any questions, should you run into any issues when setting up your site.

The first thing you will need is a domain name for your site and then a hosting account. Have you got these yet?

• Like Like x 1
  3. nirose

nirose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you can also try icyphoenix from icyphoenix.com. Its based on phpbb but has great features embedded into the default install.

Gather some poeple with similar interest then start making discussions and your forum will surely grow.

Good luck

4. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Creating a forum is easy, but sustaining it and encouraging regular participation is the hard part.

The best way to do that is to make sure there are always quality interesting topics of discussion.

Most forums are very inactive.

5. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah creating a forum is easy.. to get the word of your forum out is hard and require time, effort and hard work.

1 - Choose the genre of your forum and the type of software you are going to use
    2 - Once the forum is up, make your forum section, description and choose a nice theme
    3 - Start posting into the forum section.. or you can call posters to join your forum to post before it is officially open. Do not open your forum if it is empty!
    4 - Once the forum is opened, promote your forum through blogs, commenting, promotion forum, forum's signature, social networking and other ways you can think of. Here is a good promotion forum where you can exchange posts with others members or buy/sell posts. Here's the link: www.forumpromotion.net

6. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree with this.

It's been 2 years for now, i've began a forum on a game on Playstation 3. Before this i've created twice forums which were ~5k posts / hundred register people.

Some keys to create forum :
    - Watch out on similar forums : if there is hundreds forum who talk about the same thing, you'll require to build your forum with more reflexion.
    - No 0 thread forum, all of your subforums should have something in.
    - Don't begin alone, tell 2,3,4 of your friends to come first times
    - Effort, effort and effort, day by day. It's a 3/4 month very active you should think.
    - If you try to build a forum, on a thing that just exists (a game who will come out soon), build your forum as soon as possible, when the game will come out, it's a bit late !
    - Build forum, subforum as well as possible. It's difficult to tell exactly what to do but all subforum should have a role, a goal.
    - Promotion : well i haven't do a thing of social network, or email, my only key were SEO optimisation and that depend on the forum name / description / etc ...

My last forum build have at the moment 1,6k members / 190k messages, and ... the most important thing : A forum staff with 10-15 people in (me & 1 other administrator / 3 moderators / around 10 people with a role and some moderation skill).

Permits me to get some day far from the forum but before ... this was 1 year of posting posting, everyday.

Thats why i'm writing an ebook at the moment on "building communities" after 2-3 try, i finally got sucess on buiding this, and share the method (for free of course, but the book isnt finished).

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing those great tips with us VVhite_Angel and congratulations on the success of your forum, that really is great and I hope it continues for you.

Would you mind sharing a link to your forum, or would you prefer to keep it confidential?

8. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can find it at the url : http://www.littlebigplanet-france.net/forum.htm

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done VVhite_Angel, it looks very active. I'm not a gamer myself but glad to see that you have succeeded so well.

10. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Next step : Write a short article on this for the forum.

11. tipman

tipman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Find a Free Hosting Supplier or Paid one. Then Install a Forum Software on it.

Thanks

12. thpalex

thpalex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are many scripts of installing forums like vbulletin, phpbb etc but you have purchase licence i think.

However, for making money running forums is a good idea as you get fresh content this way.

#12 thpalex, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
  13. Shole

Shole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This should help :

14. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hope this too :) thanks

15. thresanresee45

thresanresee45
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Itself been 2 years for now, ivory began a forum on a game on pleasing 3. Before this i've produced twice forums which were ~5k posts one hundred register people.

sheriff you donor necessarily need to purely forum software in order to start a forum You could beginning with free forum software sudden as any of the following.

16. experttalk

experttalk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

17. habeebraja

habeebraja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Man,Its very easy.You don't have to go and buy from the market,Its free.You can start from free forum.Use some good topic and increase traffic in your forum.If you go to google and search there you will get lots of forum.

18. abi5684

abi5684
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Sherah,

I think you can go with CMS kinda stuff for your forum website.
    Best one is Wordpress & Joomla.
    It gives not only the forum but gives you a complete website in arabic also with a backend panel to control your website completely. Hope it will be useful for you. Thanks..

19. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i guess you could probably use proboards.com they have a free simple step by step guided pre-designed forum for you to tweak and modify a lil for your purpose

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But as far as I know, you don't have full control on proboards. Using a top level domain is not possible.