How to shrink one of my partitions and increase my system partition?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Corey465, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Corey465

Corey465
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My system partition has only 129MB of free space. But, my D partition has 20GB left. The E partition is 80GB left. So, I just want to shrink one partition and add the free space to my system partition. Do you have any idea? How can I do that? Some detailed steps could be really appreciated. Thanks!

2. Giles576q

Giles576q
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All right! It is not so difficult for you to increase your system partitions:
    1). Try to extend your partition in Disk Management
    Back up all important partition data well, shrink one of your partitions with enough free space in Disk Management, right click your system partition to extend it there.
    2). Extend the partition space with tools.
    If the extend option is unable to work, you do have chances to go on with a partition resizing tools like IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free, GParted and EaseUS Partition Master, etc.
    Just remember to save all important data well in advance.
    Good luck!

3. Avery262

Avery262
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have ever also encountered the similar drive low space problem. Searched a lot and found some solutions over the internet.

But, when I try to extend my partition in Disk Management, the Extend option is just grayed out and cannot be used.

So, I have no choice but to try some partition resizing tools. Fortunately, I have added enough free space to my partition.

Moreover, I also find video tutorial that teaches how to increase a partition step by step:
    youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk
    It may help you out.

Note: Always back up all partition data before the resizing process in case of data loss.
    Good luck!

4. lewiskent

lewiskent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to change the partition size on a particular drive. Then here is the most efficient and safest way to change the size of your hard drive partition without loosing any data.
    1) Select My Computer and then select Manage.
    2) Within the console, click Disk Management.
    3) After you resize a partition, then opt either shrink or expand the volume size.
    Note: * If you want to shrink the volume size, then you must require enough space on the current partition.
    * If you want to expand the volume size, then make sure your hard drive has enough allocated space.
    4) Now follow the "extended volume wizard" and type the amount of space that you would like to increase the volume by "select the amount of space in MB". After that click on "Next" button.
    5) If you want to shrink the partition, then right click on the partition and select "shrink volume".
    6) After that a you will see a dialog box showing the available shrink space. Enter the amount of space to shrink and click the Shrink button.
    If you need assistance in managing your hard drive, data backup or other computer peripherals then you can call AskPCExperts at 1-800-491-3022.