How To Set Up Your First Website with WordPress

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by agentmanningctu, Aug 9, 2010.

1. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

WordPress is an amazing piece of software that allows users to create a customized blog. These blogs can be used for business, entertainment or for informational purposes. The unique thing about WordPress is that you can use it for much more than a blog. There are thousands of plugins and extras that you can add to make your blog into a full on website.

Getting WordPress set up is very easy. The hardest part might be getting hosting. Finding the right host is never fun. You need to make sure you pick a cheap yet reliable host. If you are choosing a free host, make sure you find a host that has been around for at least a year. Many free hosts pack up shop and leave after a few weeks, leaving you dead in the water. As far as recommendations go, users have complained about my hosts in the past. However, I have heard good things about Hawk Host (paid).

Once you have your host picked out, it’s time to install WordPress. First, go to WordPress.org and download the latest version of WordPress. Unzip the folder and keep it somewhere handy. Keep in mind, the next few steps are not hard. First, login to your cPanel. (yourdomain.com/cpanel) Once logged in, look to see if there is an icon called Fantastico. If so, you’re in luck. Fantastico installs software like WordPress with one click. If you don’t have it, don’t worry just keep reading. Today was literally the first time I have ever tried to install something in my life. It’s the easiest thing I’ve done all day. I’d map it out for you step by step, but this video will explain it much faster.

At this point, WordPress should be one hundred percent ready. If not, please reply to this and I will do my best to help you out. Next, you will need to pick a theme for your blog/site. Here is the official WordPress database. When selecting a theme, keep in mind that it would be better to choose a theme that has not been used on fifty thousand blogs. Try to pick something that has been used a lot, but not enough to bore readers. Also keep in mind that your theme should match your content. For example, if you are making a Romance-themed blog, you might consider a red and pink theme.

WordPress’ Plugin feature makes sure your blog or website will always be the best that it can be. You can easily search for just about anything you can think of. I recommend “No Copy”. It is a plugin which removes the right-click and ctrl + C functions for visitors. That makes it very difficult for people to steal your work. Keep in mind this plugin does not work for Administrators, so ask a friend to test it for you. I would also recommend the Google Analytics plugin. It gives you a detailed report of your site’s statistics. This will help later with selling advertisements.

Yes, WordPress is mainly used to create blogs, but it is a handy tool to create a website. You don’t even need to create a blog if you don’t want. Just go to the “Pages” page. You can use this function as a CMS, or Content Management System, to create a website from scratch. Enter text, HTML, pictures and more. It is very similar to a website creator. You can also add Widgets and Plugins to make this a fully functional website with a chatbox, contact form, PayPal donation buttons and more. Keep in mind this is all ad-free. It’s your own personal website creator and you can do anything you want with it.

WordPress is a lot of fun to set up. It does everything you could ever want. Still, it can be daunting if you are a beginner like I was. If you need any help with the installation process or with customization, just let me know.

#1 agentmanningctu, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
  2. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just a quick correction. WordPress.com is for free wordpress hosted blogs, so no hosting required but you're limited on your options and must use a 'wordpress' domain. To use a 'self hosted' option (so the blog fits in with your existing domain) you should go to www.WordPress.org to download the software.

It's probably also worth mentioning that if you want to 'play' with things a little (say making a custom theme), without messing with your 'live' version, you can install a local version of wordpress on your computer using tools like XAMPP lite.

4. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the correction Paul, my bad. :)

5. MichaelSullivan

MichaelSullivan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Indeed, Wordpress works just great. Any aspiring blogger can do so much with it and will surely love it. :)

6. stev

stev
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you have nice knowledge about Your First Website with Word Press

7. Vetty

Vetty
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Anybody can use WordPress, which makes it a very easy way to "own" your own website.

8. mbitsol

mbitsol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hey very nice tutorial i will be looking forward for your e-book :)

9. Robertsusa2

Robertsusa2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

very well toritorial. I will tell my friend to read this forum

10. techite

techite
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Platforms such as Wordpress save a lot of worthy time.

11. smartkathy

smartkathy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is really great source for wordpress. I really thankful to you for shared this effective information.