How to SEO a site thats not Open to guests?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by daytrader, Dec 3, 2012.

1. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The site's index.html is open to guests, crawlers and bots but its pages aren't for whatever the owner's reason. how do you SEO it when he wanted to rank a page that's hidden to guests?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Perhaps he could concentrate all his SEO efforts on the site home page. Would that option work for him?

I don't know how it's done but I know of one MyBB forum who's content can only be viewed by registered members, i.e. it cannot be viewed by guests, yet those "hidden pages" are well indexed by Google. They have some how managed to allow Google's spiders view the page content, yet keep it hidden from human visitors. Is the site in question built using any kind of forum software or CMS?

3. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For site with good social signal and linking even it is flash content, no follow or block by robots txt, it can still rank well in search. Your situation is work under limitation, but it is still possible to optimize the site, just that you have double up the effort.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm not disagreeing with you, but how can a site that blocks search engines be ranked by those search engines?

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it possible to let the search engine index those titles or url of the hidden pages?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes it is, I will PM you with a link to an example. I'm not sure how they do it, perhaps some of our more knowledgeable SEO members can tell us how it's done?

• Like Like x 1
  7. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It might just work if the site will open it for guest for awhile, let the search engines index it and then once it rank, thats the right time to close it and will only be available for registered users. Maybe it will work.

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The vBulletin software that we use to run this forum would allow us to show thread titles to guests, but not allow them to open the threads. However, that's not something I really want to do, I feel it's better to make the content readable for guests and members alike. However, as you know, only logged in members can reply to threads or start new threads.

10. Kev H

Kev H
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, knowledgeable? :)

Without seeing the exact example I can't say for sure, there are many ways 'security' could be achieved - but here is how I would do it from a code point of view.

All the pages are techically visible to everyone and you display the page as far as the title of the page etc regardless of logged in state.

Then when you come to the part in code that would display the 'content' you check to see the logged in state of the user and only display the content if the user is logged in.

This is in effect the same method used for securing a site for any purposes, you just move the 'check' further down in the code and instead of re-directing the user to a login page you just don't display the content.

** edit **
    in this case change user to bot and you get the idea

#10 Kev H, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012