How to resize my partition space?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Brook1654, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Brook1654

Brook1654
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, everyone! I currently have an internal hard drive with four partitions. Recently I have deleted a partition and want to add the newly created 50GB of unallocated space to my System partition. However, when I try it in my Disk Management, the “Extend” option doesn’t work at all. It is grayed out. So, now, I just don’t know what to do next. Do you have any idea for me? Is it still possible for me to add the free space to my C drive? Help me, please!

2. Beau67322

Beau67322
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It sounds like your newly created unallocated space is not exactly adjacent to your system partition. That’s often why the “extend” option in Disk Management is grayed out.

But, don’t worry! Except that way, you also can try some partition resizing tool to add your partition space with ease, like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free and EaseUS Partition Master, etc.

Overall, no matter what tool you will choose to use, you’d better firstly back up all partition data well in case of data loss.

3. Clark312

Clark312
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OK! Don’t give up! In my experiences, you do have chances to extend your partition with third-party partition resizing tools. All these tools are designed for users like you to add enough free space to assigned partition with ease. So, just search one for your partition.

Moreover, in case of data loss, you are also supposed to save all important partition data on another drive.

Here is an article that can teach you extend your drive in details:
    partition-magic-server-2003.blogspot.com/2013/11/resize-server-2003-partition-free.html

4. bjdea2

bjdea2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Due to the complexity involved and the expertise needed I would not do anything. Buy a new hard drive and start again.

5. lewiskent

lewiskent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to change the partition size on a particular drive. Then here is the most effective and safest way to resize your hard drive partition without loosing any data.
    1) Select My Computer and after that select Manage.
    2) In the console, click Disk Management.
    3) When you resize a partition, then choose either expand or shrink the volume size.
    Note: * If you want to shrink the volume size, then you must have enough space on the current partition.
    * If you want to expand the volume size, then make sure your hard drive has enough allocated space.
    4) Now follow the "extended volume wizard" and type the amount of space that you would like to increase the volume by "select the amount of space in MB". After that click on "Next" button.
    5) If you want to shrink the partition, then right click on the partition and select "shrink volume".
    6) After that a dialog box will appear where you would be able to see the shrink space available. Enter the amount of space to shrink and click the Shrink button.
    If you need help in managing your hard drive, data backup or other computer peripherals then you can call AskPCExperts at 1-800-491-3022.