Must Read: How to Request a Review

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by Fergal, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You can use this section to request reviews of your website or graphic, from your fellow members at Business Advice Forum.

You must have made at least 20 posts on Business Advice Forum before you can request a review.

We require that you please review another site or graphic before requesting your own review. You will generally get a better response to your review request, if you keep your request specific and only request a review for one website or graphic at a time.

20 BAF Cash will be deducted for every review request posted.

Please note that all review requests are moderated, hence your review thread will not be displayed publicly, until approved by a Moderator or Admin.

Thanks!

#1 Fergal, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
  3. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This rule is not working. There are no reviews here that havent already received extensive comment. I am trying to post a new site that I would like input on but the only way I can do it is by first reviewing someone else's site (I know because my post was deleted!).

I've spent 20 mins trying to find one to review but the threads are all old. Sure, I could state something obvious that has already been said just to hit the requirement but how does that add value to the forum.

I'm not trying to criticize. I agree that the principle of people giving something before asking is valid, but in this forum it is having the effect of reducing interaction. If there were more sites to review I would happily offer my expertise to them.

Just a suggestion.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This rule works fine IMHO.

Not true. I can see a thread you could have reviewed that has only 2 replies. It's not that old, March. People looking for site reviews don't mind there being later responses. They just want feedback. This is the one.

Of course your thread was deleted. You obviously either didn't read the rules post as it clearly states you should before posting, or chose to ignore what it said. Either way, that was what should have happened.

I found my example in a few minutes. Age of threads already addressed.

There's no limitation on how many people can respond to a review thread. I find it hard to believe you couldn't find a single point to make to add value on any review request which hadn't been mentioned already. Fresh eyes will always catch something.

To change the rule wouldn't work. I've been there and tried having review sections on other forums without any kind of requirement. What happens is you end up with pages and pages of requests and few replies. Spammers will also use the reviews section as a dumping ground for their link under the guise of wanting a review. When you require them to answer another one, they don't bother with their spam posts and move on. This rule keeps it all balanced.

Just my two cents worth. Probably all you need do is wait a day or so and a review request will come in. :) Or put a link in your sig to the reviews section suggesting people request reviews to remind them that's there.

#4 Kay, May 2, 2010
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
  5. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The thread you mentioned was posted on 1st March. Thats over 61 days ago. The OP has not even been back on the BAF forum at all since 3rd March.
    Actually I did read the rules. The rules are very well worded and respectful to the users: "We ask that you please review another site or graphic, on the same day that you request your own review". Its a request, not a hard requirement, and leaves room for people to add a new post without having to reply to a 60 day old one.

I also tried to comply with the rules and reviewed all the posts in the last 30 days. None had anything I could say that hadnt been said several times. You can argue with this if you like but its true.
    Yes, I've seen that too. But generally the community is able to weed those out pretty quickly. Sp4m posts are generally poorly written, and often posted by people with low post counts. In any case the rule itself makes sense. My point is that enforcing it so rigidly, against a valuable, well written post, by an active member is wrong and will drive them away.
    Kay - I agree with the principle. But when it is so rigidly enforced the result is that the forum becomes a community made up of a small number of super users and mods, insiders that adhere rigidly to a set of rules without applying a modicum of common sense.

I just think that applying a blanket rule like this so rigidly is stifling comment (and the age of the threads in this part of the forum is showing that). Anyway, I see there is a new post on here now, so I will look at that. Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely not trying to diss anyone. This is a great forum, with keen and helpful members, of which you and Geki dan are both some of the best. The mods do a fantastic job of keeping it clean and sp4m free.

Mike

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Mike, thanks a lot for your suggestions and for taking the time to give such detailed information. We only introduced the requirement to post a review, before requesting one, quite recently. The reason why it was introduced, was because we were receiving quite a few review requests that got very few replies. We don't get as many review requests now that the rule has been introduced, however, people who do request reviews get more helpful and constructive replies to those requests.

I recognise that you are a valuable member here on the community and that your contributions are helpful to other members. I'm sorry that in this instance, the rules appear to have made it difficult for you to receive the review you deserve. This forum section has improved since the rule was introduced and I believe that it has made the reviews more helpful for 9 out of 10 members requesting them. Unfortunately a rule that works for 9 out of 10 members, doesn't work for 1 of those 10.

I appreciate your suggestions in relation to the wording of the rule, it does need to be made stronger and clarify that members must reply to a review before requesting their own - I will do that now.

7. DaniaLLL

DaniaLLL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

WOW nice rule i am impressed see this rule first time in any forum nice work admins keep it up :)

8. 3Dating4U

3Dating4U
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there,

We are looking for some advise and review of our website. We have a domain which is .com (main site) and recently set up a basic page under .co.uk domain designed for new members.

We are getting alot of visits around 200 a day and have reached over 1,500 in total so far since the site launch mainly on the .com domain. But the conversion is very low 5 members have registered in the last few weeks of the site being live. Need advise?

Thanks!

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

3Dating4U to request a review of your site, please follow the guidelines in the first post of this thread.

10. Ward Weaver

Ward Weaver
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although I completely respect the rule but it is slightly strange that why is the rule there for review other site? I mean if we are not capable then it is something that should not be forced but anyway I really love this forum as I always get complete freedom. I am soon going to start my web site and I will love to have it here for an honest review to know more.

11. aaryanmevada

aaryanmevada
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Shared really useful thinks here.

12. muqtada123

muqtada123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i find the rule very fair.

13. campbelljof

campbelljof
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey the link you provide is too good.
    I was in the search of such type of information, and finally i got it over here.
    It is too interesting and very effective.
    I will follow all your points.i ma sure these points will increase my skills and my knowledge.