How to Remember Names!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I personally found the article below to be very useful when it comes to remembering people's names. The most useful tip for me was the attitude one. I constantly tell myself that I'm bad at remembering names. Time to change that habit.

What do you think, is the article useful to you?

2. kiatsiang

kiatsiang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is great articles, some of the way listed is also my way of remembering name. I always use substitution, memory and the name itself to remember. Sometimes i feels hard to recognise their face i substitute his name with something i familiar with to help remember it.

3. Kibby

Kibby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think by reading this I should be able to remember names a lot better. I am someone who can remember names quite well but I often forget what they look like or link their name to a similar name. e.g. I know someone called Lauren but I often call her Laura.

4. kurama

kurama
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for your article. sometimes we always forget someone that's has complicated or long name.maybe with your tips we can remember it

5. chrisdina

chrisdina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to add from the article I read. some similar, but more practical.

1. One of the most common tips is to repeat their name as they introduce themselves. "Hi Chris, it's a pleasure to meet you." As you introduce yourself think of a mental or visual image that can help you recall their face. For example, if your customer appears somewhat gruff you could say to yourself, "Chris is cross." This process helps you connect their name and physical appearance and can make it easier to recall their name at a later date.

An interesting challenge occurs when we meet someone for the first time. Many people forget the other person's name immediately after meeting them - I know this has happened to me at conferences and networking meetings. The reason is simple; as the other person is introducing themselves, we are usually thinking about our introduction and what we'll say to make a good first impression. We think about the handshake and hope we connect properly. And in some situations our attention is focused elsewhere.

2. The next step is to use their name a few times during your conversation. This will help you remember that person's name during your meeting and for a short period of time afterwards. An easy way to do this is to ask them a question and include their name. Here's an example, "So, what type of business of you in Jim?" or "Jim, what is the biggest business challenge you're currently facing?" This approach appears relaxed and comfortable and is a natural way for you to use the other person's name. One important note - do not overuse their name or you will come across as insincere and phony.

3. When you return to work record that person's information in your organizer along with any personal or business information you learned during your conversation. If the person said or did something that stood out, record this information as well. As you do this, visualize that person and repeat their name aloud a few times. This will help drive their name further into your memory and make it easier to recall at a later date.

4. To recall that person's name at anytime in the future requires some additional work. You need to picture their face as you state their name aloud several times. This should be done several times a week for the first month and then on a weekly basis for several months afterwards. While it seems like a lot of work, it is an extremely effective approach and is virtually guaranteed to help you remember someone's name.

5. It's also important to understand that the setting will help you recall names. For example, I can quickly remember the names of people who attend my workshops but if I bump into them in a shopping centre, it is highly unlikely I will recall their name. That's because we run through our mental Rolodex trying to figure out where we met that individual. I remember That means you should take the time to picture them in different settings - imagine where you could run into them and visualize what they would look like in that environment.

6. The last suggestion is to focus on remembering the person rather than their name. People are very forgiving about name if you are able to recall their face. I have had people attend a workshop and even though they participated in a previous program, I can't remember their name. I admit that by saying, "I recognize the face but I can't recall your name." I have never had anyone express disappointment that I didn't remember their name.

Kelley Robertson

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good tips there Chrisdina. I already practice 1 & 2 but 3 & 4 are something that I should be doing and I will start putting them into practice.

7. coolashish

coolashish
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah it's embarrassing when we forget name after 10 secs after intro

8. mostwantedchamp

mostwantedchamp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It will be like Ghazini Ashish.....
    A great post, No doubt about it...
    And i think this is the best...

9. pickmurari

pickmurari
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good article. I relate new people to something familiar to me like a part of daily activity objects or work. If the name can resemble some object or friend of mine, it is easier to remember them

10. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for a nice, interesting read, Fergal.
    It happens a lot with me too. I used to be Asst Mgr with IBM (Till I quit my job 2 months ago). There, I ought to remember names of all employees especially new comers who have joined under me.It was hard but I used to familiarize myself with the face features and then add the name to it. Might sound a bit confusing but it works !

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I remember i read a book regarding how to improve our memory. This is all about technique and practice. Basically they are using connection and picture to remember something. I still remember one example which is "how are you" in chinese pronoun as "ni hao ma". To remember this, the memory master suggest to "connect" it to "knee how ma", he is remembering that "asking people how is their knee in opposite mean "how are you", and "ma" is question. So, after few years, he still able to remember this. Use own method and practice it time to time will improve our memory

12. jackarev

jackarev
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Remembering name is closely related to the ability of our brain's memory works. My teacher when I was in primary school suggested a tips to strengthen your memory, which is wake up as soon as possible when we open our eyes from your sleep in the morning, do not take naps anymore.

I do not know if this is true or not, but I think it is not a bad action.

13. karthi5555

karthi5555
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Still, I faced this problem of 'remembering names' when i was new to the team .. the problem complicates when there are two people with same names. This happened to me, Person A called me and told he's X .. I thought i was talking to Person B who is also X .. then its embarrassing scene. I had to apology. Then we had to re-name them again (with initials) .. :)) Now i have a lesson learnt. I double check the person's identity before making any conversation.

Though, I work in a place where there are not much changes ; i see the same (set of) person day in and out. This article is good to read. I enjoyed reading this.

14. Komal

Komal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really nice, useful article. Now i can easily remember names. Thanks.

15. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I like the thread completely. Am good at remembering names. I remember everyone that I have come across, met even for few minutes. Remembering names definitely helps you in the sales field to have the best rapport built in very less time.

16. Jude Richardson

Jude Richardson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm also good at remembering names maybe because I used to work as a CSR and remembering name of the person that I am talking to whether it's over the phone or in person is very important..

17. boysingh

boysingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm, I'm not good at remembering names also, I usually remember the person's name when we have talked few times already, haha, thanks for these tips!

18. lukeburing

lukeburing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow! This is very interesting article. I can considered myself as a bad when it comes of names because maybe everyday I meet a person then after that we will not see each other for a long time then one day we will see again, I need to ask who are you again? Funny right? :)

19. B2025

B2025
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Names are IMPORTANT. People gravitate to their own names. I typically associate names with something else to help remember.

Another tip is to use the person's name more frequently in the conversation.

This helps you remember (repetition), and also gives the other person a certain amount of validation, increasing your bond/relationship. Win/Win!

• Like Like x 1
  20. chad23

chad23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think this article is useful and very interesting. As for me I have never had a problem with remembering names, but my best friend has such a problem. I've heard about a book called «The Power of Presence: Unlock Your Potential to Influence and Engage Others» by Kristi Hedges. This book tells about some proven tips which can help you to get rid of forgetfulness. I've never read this book, but I hope it can be interesting for you.