How to regularly update a singel web page?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by iimibrohim, Oct 21, 2010.

1. iimibrohim

iimibrohim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am trying to make one of my page to have a better SERP for certain keyword. I believe that updating content regularly will help. But how is the good way to update if it is one single article page?
    1. Make additional content (text or image) from time to time so the page will be longer and longer? or
    2. Create links to others new page ? Will this share the rank to the new pages (because the keyword / topics is the same)?

#1 iimibrohim, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i wondering if this is the case, why dont you just create a home page with single page content and other article in subdomain?

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Regularly updating a single site?
    How about converting it into a blog wherein you can post articles regularly containing your keywords?

4. iimibrohim

iimibrohim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks sigma. I hope u don't mind if I take your site to make case study (and also because I am interested in your site's topic)
    One page in your site:http://www.sixsigmais.com/sixsigmastatisticalintroduction.htm
    has good SERP for the keyword of six sigma introduction. Suppose you want to make the SERP better. Beside building quality backlink for that page, you need to update the content in that page, right? So, how to update it regularly? make it just longer page continously or just add links on that page to new pages?

Hi gekidan. Thank you. So You choose the second option. Suppose you create link in your homepage, say 'Maki Ohguro - Anything Goes Cover Art'. This article will have SERP too for keyword which is the same as keyword in your homepage, say 'kamen rider' keyword, right? Is this good for SERP of your homepage? I think it is like creating 'inside competitor' of your homepage.

#4 iimibrohim, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will add links on the page to new page. If the page is too long, then the loading speed might be longer, and the visitor will feel lazy to read

6. rdcclu

rdcclu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. Create a 2 minute video optimized for your keyword.
    a. Put it up on YouTube. Follow the prescribed keyword optimization methods for a YouTube post.
    b. Then put the video up on your page.
    2. Put up pages at Squidoo and Hubpages (there are many more like these) and put up other articles optimized for this same keyword.
    a. In the articles, link back to your site.
    3. Put your articles up on EzineArticles. Include a link to your page in the resource box.
    4. Submit all your articles to a article directory submission service.
    5. Go get 50+ backlinks to each of the articles.
    6. Write more articles optimized for your keyword and put them up on your site. Then do steps 1-5 for that article.

7. Justin

Justin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What kind of analytics do you have on the page? You might consider using one of the heat mapping analytics packages. This will let you know what parts of the page people looks at. Once you know this you can enhance the content in those areas of the site. You should also look at the bounce rate of the page. You probably want to aim to get this down although if it is the only page on your site this isnt going to have much relevance.

It is not necessary to have regularly updating content. What regularly updating content does it encoruages the google search bots to keep revisiting your site.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think it could be a competition to the homepage since it is still on my blog's inner pages.
    Besides, even though the visitor enters my site from that article, most likely, like a normal visitor, will end up visiting the homepage.

If I got an update on any article, I'll just create a new one and create a link to the previous article.

This way, I can create page views and new page impressions. :D

9. Komputergeek

Komputergeek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think as per my knowledge we should not update our content too fast (please correct me if I am wrong here) but link building can be better option here which made your site crawled regularly and that directly improves your ranking..

10. iimibrohim

iimibrohim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks all,
    I have no problem with that competition. Whatever page the visitor enters is good.
    What I am concerned about is SERP competition.

Say you have two pages now: A (your homepage) and B, both have the same topic and target keyword.
    What do you think google will do:
    Give credit for each of them, so for that keyword, A will have posistion,say, #16, and B #23,
    OR
    Transfer the credit form B to A, so A will have position much better position?

If we have only one page A, we don't need to be worried about this, right.

aah, sorry if I am confusing you all. Thank you for spending your time for this.

rdcclu, that is an interesting loop, tq. I will do that.

komputergeek, yes I believe backlink will help. But people says we have regularly update (??). tq for sharing.
    justin, i never do that kind of analysis, that's not what I am concerned right now but I think I have to do it later.

#10 iimibrohim, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  11. Justin

Justin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Analytics and testing is what marks out good websites and good businesses from bad ones, so I would seriously consider it!

If you have a site that is trying to rank for the term say office chairs, if the site has a number of pages all talking about different types of office chairs that is going to do more good than having one page talking about all the different types of office chairs, even if it is regularly updated.

Single page sites are more often than not used for squeeze pages or some kind of tacky information marketing product.

Google On page Optimisation is about your main keyword and what they call LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) See here: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/bgoogle-latent-semantic-indexingb/1296/ for a more indepth description. You also need to think about Header tags, image tags and bolding important keyword prhrases.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like justin had said, having more pages on your site makes it better for you to rank higher on your keywords.
    And I think you need to consider now having a blog wherein you could use in creating articles, and getting more content which results to more search engine visits.

13. Dayanan

Dayanan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Blogs are best for this as they usually RSS feeds. After every update you can ping the feed directories.