How to redirect domain to a new site?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by jhonstwewart, Feb 10, 2011.

1. jhonstwewart

jhonstwewart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Centering on a niche product, there is one region that we have now. There is a particular group that has a keyword in the domain name, and it feels superior. The site ought to have been influenced by this mixing domain keyword, in my view. The domain name we utilize will not be more suitable, since we desire to expand a truly spreaded portfolio. by means of a more universal name, I want to make a new domain and progress all the matter there and lastly obtain the oldest subject with the aid of the 301-redirect alternative.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

jhonstwewart I'm not sure that I understand your post, are you asking us for help on implementing a 301 redirect?

3. prevaj

prevaj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Redirecting the site would not help bring the site up in Search Engine Ranking...

4. rajni

rajni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

301-redirect is the best way to redirect the domain to a new site.

5. John BusinessPlan

John BusinessPlan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

301 redirect tells Google the old page is permanently moved.

According to Google:
    The 301 status code means that a page has permanently moved to a new location.

301 redirects are particularly useful in the following circumstances:

* You've moved your site to a new domain, and you want to make the transition as seamless as possible.
    * People access your site through several different URLs. If, for example, your home page can be reached in multiple ways - for instance, http://example.com/home, http://home.example.com, or http://www.example.com - it's a good idea to pick one of those URLs as your preferred (canonical) destination, and use 301 redirects to send traffic from the other URLs to your preferred URL. You can also use Webmaster Tools to set your preferred domain.
    * You're merging two websites and want to make sure that links to outdated URLs are redirected to the correct pages.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

maybe you can consider 302 redirects which is temporary redirect
    With 302 redirect, you are telling the search engines to read and use the content on the new page, but to keep checking the original URL first as it will ultimately be reestablished.

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Redirecting an existing site which has moved to a new domain will help to retain the previous rankings. While it won't give it a boost per se, it is essential to correctly redirect pages when migrating to a new domain (or changing the site structure) to minimise the losses. It does take a little time to propagate through the system though, so don't expect to see the benefits overnight.

Why?

Given what the OP outlined, they should definitely use a permanent redirect and not a temporary one.

As for how to implement it, that will depend on the hosting you have. If you check the help section for your host, they most likely have detailed information on how to do it specific to their set up (e.g. it'd be different for windows hosting to linux hosting, so we'd need more detailed information to go on).

8. webhostuk

webhostuk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can do it using .htaccess redirect 301 redirect will help.

9. expertricky

expertricky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

use 301 redirect to redirect your page..as it is Search engine friendly....

10. jonathan10387

jonathan10387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

same here....jhonstwewart can you be clearer???

11. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, why don't you try linking both the domains to a common site instead of redirecting the whole one on to other domain..This way you can get the advantage of both the domains...Yeah, it might involve some cost...But I can't say it will be more than cost of redirecting!!

12. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really don't see why you're suggesting this or what benefits you believe it would provide. It's diluting the benefits across multiple sites rather than focusing it on a single canonical version. If the OP intends to simply move all content to a new domain and focus on promoting this, they are quite correct to simply 301 the existing pages to the new locations. I can't see any reason to suggest they employ using multiple domains in preference to a 301, especially without giving caveats relating to having unique content on each (or at the very least mention of the use of rel=canonical).

I can.

While employing multiple domains might not require any financial investment (depending on their existing hosting and registration of the domain), at the very least it will require a far more significant investment of time and resources. Setting up a redirect will require far less input across the board (financial, time and workload). There are various reasons why employing multiple domains would be a great strategy, but nothing mentioned by the OP would suggest it's required (or even suitable) for their needs.

13. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@ PualPinnacle Many Thanks for throwing light on the subject..

Ofcourse I am not aware of the cost related matters and I agree with you on that...

However, Linking the domains, in my opinion will have benefits of popularity of both the domains, because in micro-scenario if we analyze, we are doing marketing of our domains not our site in real terms...People enter our domain names and they they can access our sites..so domain is most important..It might be possible that at times that we may lack somewhere in accessing our domain name strength on various parameters and move on to other domain name...In that case redirecting the earlier domain to new domain may not be preferable by some royal visitor's sentiments...They might want to see the site with old domain name only...In the mean time we can also market the new one and gain additional customers on that name...I also don't see any harm in this strategy and I am also planning to do same with my site too!!
    In the nut shell, we are not loosing visitors trust on account of any domain name..To summarize ,You are getting benefits of 'repositioning' without brand dilution.....My points of view are from that of marketing professional purely, nothing technical!!!:)

14. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Be careful when you use the term 'popularity' (in the generic meaning) when discussing it in relation to digital marketing. It has a very specific meaning in this context, where the 'popularity' (along with terms such as 'authority' and 'trust') of a site is directly related to SEO and the 'technical stuff'.

Speaking from a digital marketing point of view, having multiple domains hurts the popularity significantly. It dilutes the benefits across multiple sites, hurting the authority/trust/theme/quality of the site(s). It's hard enough to gain trust (or popularity) for a single site, trying to do it for multiple sites is far more difficult. A single site, correctly set up and maintained, will (in the vast majority of cases) significantly outperform two separate domains each receiving half of the total effort. Look at the analysis of click through rates for varying SERP positions and you'll understand why focusing the effort on a single domain to achieve greater popularity and trust (thus helping with better rankings) is far more effective than diluting the effort across multiple domains (e.g. one site in the top 5 results will deliver more traffic than 10 sites between pages 2 and 3).

Taking a more holistic view of the marketing, branding and reputation management (i.e. the more generic use of 'popularity') the same is also true. Dispersing the effort across multiple brands/names can make it more difficult to gain traction and increase the reputation. This can hurt word of mouth referrals, citations and trust building (in the generic sense, not the SEM context), unless the marketing is done very well to ensure a consistency of message.

It is a great option in many cases (the use of multiple domains), it can provide excellent results (when handled correctly), but I can't see anything mentioned to date to suggest it's suitable or beneficial here in this scenario. Given the OP looking for advice on how to implement a 301 redirect, the added issues of trying to correctly maintain two 'independent' sites would probably be far more effort and hassle than the benefits it 'could' bring (and serious risks of it doing far more harm than good if done poorly).

Bit of an aside, but in many cases they don't. Even when someone knows the relevant URL, they have come to rely on search engines so much that they actually search for the URL rather than go directly to it (to what extent will depend on your target market, the more technical the user the less prevalent this will be).

Domains are extremely important, on various different levels (from branding to reputation, geotargeting to relevance), but that doesn't mean "2 is always better than 1".

If a loyal customer (I assume you didn't actually mean royalty?) accesses the site from the old domain, it's very easy to pass them a quick message explaining why the redirect is there and why the rebranding was done based on the referral. The potential for negative impacts here is far less than in running multiple sites incorrectly.

In terms of the technical stuff, there can be harm done (whether you see it or not) and it greatly increases the work load (even when done correctly to mitigate that harm).

15. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@ PualPinnacle..I am convinced with the reasons you have given
    Yeah, I don't mean royalty here...

100% agreed!!

All these points you have given are new to me as I am yet to experience it this way but will try looking at it from the direction you have shown and will try inculcating them in my approach---

But I think I should clarify here that I was talking all this way here about two similar domain names having relevance to your site...For Eg- I have my site with cement-solution.com and I am soon going to link it with CementPedia... Both are relevant for my site..But I am going to do Branding with CementPedia only and I have directed all this effort from very start itself... Actually I got all this idea from google where if you by mistakes write any similar name or resembling name..each of them is linked to Google only...

On the whole two domain name, one site...will post back results when I have done so for sure!!:)