How to promote a new bakery in the town?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by DeSarah, Oct 29, 2015.

1. DeSarah

DeSarah
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, my wife is opening up a small bakery in our home town and will be inaugurated by Nov. 15th. The bakery is having some good competition in the area and I'm looking up for a good strategy to pull-in customers for her.
    We have initially planned of street posters and went to Club Ink (Toronto) but they had some interesting options and I got confused.
    Which do you think will be the right marketing strategy when it comes for a local small bakery promotions. I'm sure the initial attraction is all what it takes for the bakery to gain popularity, such is her baked cakes, I can guarantee that.
    Club Ink has the ideas like Wall murals & Display, A frame displays, Flag with textile printed, interesting coroplast etc.

2. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I think paid Facebook ads would be ideal for this. Who is your target audience? Is it women 25-40, etc? You can dial this type of information into the Facebook campaign perfectly.

Another important thing to note is have some type of compelling offer in your Facebook ad to get them into the store.

A few ideas:
    • Offer a coupon of some kind.
    • Have a free tasting event.
    • The first X number of people to arrive on X day gets a prize or discount or registered to win something.
    Also, once they are in your store. Have a drawing or some type of promotion that gets them to fill out a form that includes their email address. This way you can capture email addresses to send out future promotions, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. M.Ehrmantraut

M.Ehrmantraut
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Bake samples and pass them out on the sidewalks in heavily-traveled areas with a small flyer containing the bakery's name and address

• Like Like x 2
  4. MikeThompson

MikeThompson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What BA said above ^.

And, when it comes to food, the term "Pictures sell". Get yourself a photographer who knows how to do food photography. Get them up on your social pages and run a paid campaign on it.

5. Gerry Speck

Gerry Speck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, there are so many ways to promote your business.

First do some advertising about product and services.
    Promote your business through social media and your website.
    Provide some offers like coupons, discount, etc.
    And the most important provide good services to your customers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gradetracy

gradetracy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• This post has been edited to remove a promotional URL
    Have you tried some promotional products for your bakery? For example, you can order some custom made lapel pins from Pinsource and give them to people in your town in order to get new visitors and please them. I guess, it will work great with such bakeries

7. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree. This is probably the best method to use as most of your customers are probably going to be locals. I would hand out samples of your best baked goods.

You could also contact local companies and offer to drop off a sample platter for the office workers to all sample. Talk to the office manager. Tell them you are launching a new bakery and you want to get the word out by offering samples. A lot of them will be receptive if you approach it like that.

Make sure you give them things that they are going to think are awesome. When one employee says how awesome it is, it will serve as a form of social proof that it is now socially acceptable for everyone else who heard that person to go buy your awesome baked goods.

Simple and effective. Probably far, far, far more effective than buying advertising. Give away a tray of baked goods to a different office every day. You will build business very rapidly.

8. cwvps

cwvps
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to see who is your target group - women, children, people of particular age, gender and promote to them. Use Facebook paid advertising, target your audience, advertise in local newspaper, in the local classifieds, on TV. Use all local channels that are available to you. Advertising in local transportation is also a great idea.

9. Kgord

Kgord
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think having a grand opening and giving out samples would be a good thing to do. Also, make sure the local newspapers know you are open. Maybe someone could do a small press release for you. Also, make sure everyone knows about your bakery, place the grand opening in the window.

10. Keity

Keity
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to increase your business locally you should target local audience. In this case facebook may help you better. Create a facebook page and add people there. Also post relevant content about your product as well. So that people may know about get inspired to come.

11. Nox

Nox
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is definitely very important for any business in this day and age to have an online presence. Social media is a great way to connect to the rest of the world and the best part is there are so many free platforms available for that. So she should definitely set up a Facebook, Instagram and/or Twitter account for the business.

When I think of a bakery, the second thing I think of is the service I receive (the first is obviously how great their baked goods taste). Part of the charm of a local bakery is in that unique experience you in the shop where you feel like more than just a customer. That being said, your marketing might have to be a little more hands on and a little more personable. Having a stall a local flea markets, finding means to help cater school functions or getting involved in most major events in the town for example would be great ways for the business to be seen and a great way to interact with the community. It's important for you to get involved and be seen so that you leave a lasting impression on your customers, that way the next time they want to purchase a bagel they will forgo the closest convenient store and come to your wife's bakery.

I hope the launch went well. Good luck with the business :)

12. Smith-K

Smith-K
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are multiple ways to promote your brand that includes classified ad posting, directory listing and social media promotion. In your case, social media campaign will help you a lot. For then you have to run a small contest. And felicitate the winner with some prize, you may use the prize as your product and share this story over social media also tag the same guy who has won the contest. This will help out to promote your brand.

13. Asher ross

Asher ross
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Hi,

Design a 2 or 3 page website with interactive images and promote it using Google Adwords in your defined area to get online traffic to your bakery. You can also promote fdew coupons on the site as well to increase customer database. Create social media pages like Facebook pages and ask people like it and share your daily specialty on the page to attract customers on the shops.

14. Kimmymarkks

Kimmymarkks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I grew up in an area where there was a new bakery (and pizza place) on every corner. The real differentiation is the quality of food. You can tell which bakeries and pizza places use high quality food then others, and trust me it really matters. As long as your food is on point, price isn't going to matter as much. I'd definitely recommend staying competitive but I don't think its necessary to be the lowest priced bakery. Obviously customer service is a key factor too. It might be smart to have a few promotions or discounted prices to get people in the door. Once they taste the food you are preparing that's what is going to keep them coming back.

• Like Like x 1
  15. david14beck

david14beck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well go for local business/classified sites for promote your business. Now a days promotion online is a best way to increase your brand awareness.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For a local business such as a bakery I think the first thing you need to do is get local people involved and get that marketing off the ground before anything else.

Getting the locals on your side and keeping them happy will be your staple income, anything else after that, online ordering etc will be a bonus.

17. Kimmymarkks

Kimmymarkks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's smart. Id also give out free samples the first few days so people can try different types of items you are offering. Everyone will come in for free samples it's a great way to boost sales and service!