How to Prevent a Virus Invasion!

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by chris34, Feb 23, 2010.

1. chris34

chris34
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

What are Computer Viruses?
    Computer viruses are programs written by "mean" people. These virus programs are placed into a commonly used program so that program will run the attached virus program as it boots, therefore, it is said that the virus "infects" the executable file or program. Executable files include Macintosh "system files" [such as system extensions, INITs and control panels] and application programs [such as word processing programs and spreadsheet programs.] Viruses work the same ways in Windows or DOS machines by infecting zip or exe files.

A virus is inactive until you execute an infected program or application OR start your computer from a disk that has infected system files. Once a virus is active, it loads into your computer's memory and may save itself to your hard drive or copies itself to applications or system files on disks you use.

How to Prevent a Virus Invasion!

1. Load only software from original disks or CD's. Pirated or copied software is always a risk for a virus.
    2. Execute only programs of which you are familiar as to their origin. Programs sent by email should always be suspicious.
    3. Computer uploads and "system configuration" changes should always be performed by the person who is responsible for the computer. Password protection should be employed.
    4. Check all shareware and free programs downloaded from on-line services with a virus checking program.
    5. Purchase a virus program that runs as you boot or work your computer. Up-date it frequently.

Keep sharing and reading
    Thanks

2. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Chris,

A very good start to talk about computer security. Let me add few more things.

Being affected many times by virus, spywares, adwares, I think I can share a lot about it. Virus is just one of the many types of malwares which can affect your computer and take over/hijack your system from you. There are worms, Spywares, Adwares, Trojans which are another deadly computer malwares.

What is the difference between Virus and Spyware?
    It errornessly considered by many that virus and spywares are same. No, Virus is computer program which infects your computer and has capability to replicate and spread whereas spyware is computer program which gets in your computer and spy your activity. You can read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware

In recent days, Spyware and Adware has been spreading a lot and causing great pain compared to virus. They can get in from anything from downloading or accessing a malcious websites. They will not be tracked by many ordinary anti-virus softwares and try to spy on your computer and send all data to remote server. They also take over your web browser and displays ads according to their spyed information.

Be aware of the spyware and adware when you are trying to acccess a unknow website and try to avoid them. AVG is a free anti-virus which seems to be effiecent so far and many suggested to use. Whatever you do to protect your computer, its YOU who can avoid getting these malwares in your boxes. So try to wary of websites which seems to show they are good. Watch out otherwise you will be watched.

3. navast

navast
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here is some info about how computer viruses can`t infect as following, write protected disks, infect written documents, compressed files, computer hardware.

4. WebKarnage

WebKarnage
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you need to have a system for fallback, then Linux is not very virus or spyware prone at all, and can offer you a safe way to check some things out without the infection risk Windows will have. Particularly useful if you think something (eg website) you are responsible for has been compromised. Ubuntu is a solid well featured and easy to install option.

I'll admit I generally use Mac OSX anyway, but that's not for everyone. Adding an install of something like Ubuntu to your Windows machine (without removing Windows) or even an old spare PC if you have one, can be useful indeed.

with best regards,
    Karn.

5. fantanoice

fantanoice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another thing you should probably do is check "No Script" for your browser of choice. With Script turned on, a web page could take control of your computer and infect it through Javascript.

Another point I want to add is that IE (particularly versions below 8) will read <scr/nipt> (/n being a new line) as <script>, so on sites like MySpace which block Javascript, the block can be bypassed and read in IE by doing something like that.

Not to mention IE is vulnerable to a bunch of other nasties, particularly with ActiveX. I could go on about IE's faults, but I digress.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that Karn, is that difficult to do? Do you by any chance have a link to a helpful tutorial on how to do that?

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

8. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

fantanoice, I don't think taking script would be good option because many good sites which you want to use scripts and you want that to work. So that won't help a lot.

9. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

WebKarnage,

I couldn't understand your idea about installing a Ubuntu in your machine. Are suggesting to have a dual boot in your computer or how do you think you can protect your computer by having Ubuntu?

FOr others who are new to Ubuntu, it is free OS like Linux and has most applications to work standalone in your system.

Please clarify.

Thanks

10. fantanoice

fantanoice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess it depends on what websites you go to. If you frequently go to the same websites and know they're safe, then you should be fine to run scripts. However, if your a security nut or don't really trust a website, it's good to keep the option in mind.

11. Nathan

Nathan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Disabling scripts on sites which your not sure of, for example a site you visit for the first time will reduce the risk, however as tmv has stated a lot of sites require scripts enabled to run at full function ability. Another good tip is to use a well known and trusted virus protection, a paid version is always going to be better then a free version (people will beg to differ, however at the end of the day, their all in it for the money). I use trend and it's excellent as it has page safety checks, which checks the page before I visit it ensuring it's safe, it also has danger markers in search engines such as Google and Bing which is also an advantage.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Best thing to do is install an anti-virus software on your system.
    And always keep it updated.

13. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've just learned additional useful infos from you guys.

Thanks for sharing :)

14. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Computer viruses are always big problem for computer users. It is like a virus which affect human beings and causes inner system a big damage. That's why such program developed to damage / corrupt computers are named viruses.

These viruses mostly enters in the computer system in the form of softwares or applications. That's why these applications or softwares should be scanned properly with a good anti virus. There are lots of anti viruses used commonly as Nod32, Norton Anti Virus, Avira, Doctor Web and so on.

Be careful while using unknown applications or softwares. Prevention is better than cure.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Especially warez sites. Warez softwares have 90% chances on having viruses on them.

16. Exp_ac

Exp_ac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've got a team of 12 in my small business. Nasty virus took out half of our machines 2 years ago.

Been using endpoint security from Webroot for the past 3 months and haven't looked back. Fully protected and I can manage it all from one console. Definitely worth it. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing :)

17. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It’s always best to have an integrated browser security software so-to-speak, such as “Spywareblaster,” a totally free browser protection program. It helps to prevent malware from questionable websites (which are listed in the definition updates for the software) installing and infecting a PC.

Comodo Firewall is an amazing FREE tool. I can’t say too much about it. It can be useful for novices as well as amateurs (using the “Safe Mode” settings) and configured to do some serious blocking, routing, forwarding etc. Worth a try for an additional level of protection!

Another thing I’d recommend is creating a 2nd user account on any computer running Windows, which is to be used for LIMITED access. In other words, no installing of software without authorization from the administrator. These policies can be set in “gpedit.msc” Unfortunately Windows Vista Home doesn’t provide the gpedit function but other versions as well as Windows 7 does.