How to make clients pay without legal action?

Discussion in 'Legal and HR' started by mikewelsh, May 6, 2011.

1. mikewelsh

mikewelsh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

mikewelsh what have you done so far, to try and get paid? What reason are they giving for not paying?

Perhaps you can find a legal firm or a debt collection business who will only charge you if they manage to collect the debt.

That really depends on the company in question, some will want to protect their good name and would prefer to pay than to be named and shamed, others won't care. If you do decide to go down that route you need to be careful that you don't publish anything that is untrue, because the company may decide to sue you for defamation.

3. mikewelsh

mikewelsh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I know about the risk of defamation. The reason why I thought of "shaming" them is because, they will be launching their first product this month and by doing this, I reckon I gain "entice" them to pay since their reputation will be at stake. My idea is that when someone goes google their brand name, they will find my blog and kill the customers' confidence.

What do you think?

4. smith360

smith360
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I think, that's likely to happen.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree mikewelsh, they are likely to be particularly protective of their brand when they are doing a product launch. It would be interesting to gauge their reaction if you contact them and inform them that you will have to make the issue public, if they refuse to pay you.

Have they given you a reason as to why they won't pay you?

6. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh dear sounds like a tricky situation. I'm not so sure what you can do without taking legal action. Whatever you decide just be aware that they might retaliate. Some companies are just run by awful people and it's a shame. I hope you manage to sort this out.