How to keep members posting

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Matt, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, for me that is the hardest thing when operating a forum. That is how my last two forums failed. I was wondering, how can I keep my members posting? I know this forum has a pretty good way with the credits and the big auction cash but I don't have that type of money :p I know there are posting contests and stuff like that, but no one ever enters them.

2. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Get quality people is most important step. At least get in 4-5 active moderators, those moderators must be have good reputation in others forum.

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you can only declare that a forum/site fail is when you give up. I still kept my forum alive in postloop even when i only get 2 to5 post a day.
    by the next days i will also install a point system and prepare some rewards in hopes it will work for some. just keep trying.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chengang

chengang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you can always post some interesting thing!

5. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Ownedbox, can I take a look to your forum?

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best thing to do is create some new threads that relates to current events on your niche. This would ensure that members will get to interact more. And of course, if you don't have enough active posters, try to hire some, maybe at least 3 to populate your forums.

7. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

this is one of my forum http://forums.cebutravels.asia
    it may not contain a lot but sure some posters will later put more. not to mention spammers lol :D

8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

quality post and informative post is key to keep your member posting
    Monitor closely on what the member need and provide help is one of the way to keep member keep visiting the forum

9. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to interact with members and to constantly be on top of every thread or post to make sure it is responded to. Offer incentives to keep members coming back as well as polls to see what your members are interested in hearing or seeing on your forum.

10. khaleel

khaleel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you need to get active 4-5 active members(like friends) to post on your forum so when a new member comes they keep a relationship which makes them come back to the forum

11. ace

ace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unique. You need something unique that grabs the member's attention. If you only have staff or friends posting it will not work unless you have hundreds if friends that are willing to stay active for you. However, its important to keep your friends and staff active on the site as they start discussion which will help the site.

Buy posting packages and posts is a good way to get posts for your site and once your site is active, you will see active members coming in.

12. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think introducing more members would be the key to make it active. I think try marketing offline for a change. I was watching the telly yesterday (an Indian channel) and I was amazed to see that the most ads they came up were of websites, like trading portals and some entertainment ones too. I really liked it the way they are marketing. After seeing them on T.V the names just stuck in my head after all they are of no use to me but the idea is simply good. I think it is necessary to caver maximum advertising ground to be successful.

13. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just visit your forum, it show some error. Is your forum only available for register ?

MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.
    2002 - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The page loads fine on my side.

15. Erik

Erik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree. Having knowledgable people on board will help you. Also make sure there is a topic to talk about.
    You could ask some friends who are also interested in your topic. If you can't pay them directly, you can offer them a part of the earning.

16. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is weird, do you think it is possible the server overload?

By the way, I have additional point to keep member posting, which hiring poster. I got this info through other member thread.

17. Erik

Erik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hiring posters does work, but you need a clear business plan and a topic to discuss. Similarly, Google Adwords will bring new people to you, but if the forum is boring, they will leave soon. You need to offer high quality advice to a topic, so that people come to hear your personal advice. In some way, you could see yourself as a "star" or an expert. Build up that reputation. Might take a while.

#17 Erik, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  18. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The page load fine for me as well

19. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all the replies guys! I guess I will have to try and post a lot and try and get the members interested in the topics. The thing was is just I didn't want staff posting so much that they have the majority of the forum posts, but I guess it balances out after members start posting.

Well yes, I some what agree with that, but I think that once a forum starts to get down to one or two members posting, at that point, I don't think the forum is worth running at all, but that is just my opinion. I guess some of the problem is that I didn't really have much knowledge on how to run a forum.

20. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you know mat, have list of useful discussion as your featured thread matt keep your visitor coming back????