How to include source URL in copied text?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When I copy and paste text from the time.com site, it automatically copies a link to the page, the text was copied from. E.g. when I select, copy & paste "I did not go to meet Tony Robbins...." from the start of this article it looks like this;

The website somehow manages to add the "Read more" and the link, to the text I copy.

Anyone know how they do that?

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From what I can see, you need a javascript code installed to have that feature.
    I might just found out the solution via this site.

I'll try to search for more...

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On that page, it's a tool called Tynt being used. I've come across various other tools that do similar/the same, but never used one enough to give a personal recommendation.

(As an FYI, it's very easy to disable most of these protection measures. To find which tool Time were using I simply scanned through what scripts were disabled by 'no script' on firefox, as I could copy and paste with no URL, and spotted a name that sounded familiar)

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the replies. It was the first time I came across that on a site and I was very impressed by it. It would be a good way to help a site build backlinks and perhaps help prevent people stealing their content.

I'm wondering if it might be a helpful addition to BAF?

5. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You've already pointed out the positives, so you've basically answered your own question to an extent.

The only real 'negatives' (for want of a better word) are a slight increase in page load (approx 12k for the Tynt example), the time required for you to install it in the backend and (potentially) a minor tweak to your privacy policy (as most of these tools contain an element of tracking - I've not gone through the privacy statement here on BAF since I first signed up so perhaps it's already covered there in a 'catch all').

Users can manually remove the 'tags' or (again, in the case of tynt) choose to 'opt out', so no real negatives from a users point of view. It's not a big 'security' step, given how easy it is to disable a script of this nature (I had it disabled by default), but if it results in a few extra backlinks it does seem worth the effort.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In addition to what Paul had said, those who copied these articles from any site that have it can easily remove that link with the use of the "backspace". :p

7. rockymeets

rockymeets
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of the time site owners make such a text based pages which are not to be copied & if someone does so, they are been cached & can be easily found by scripts by the programming methods.

Regards
    Rocky

8. rapidbilling

rapidbilling
    uix_expand uix_collapse