How to improve your concentration?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't feel that my concentration and focus is as good as it should be. Often when I'm working on something, I find myself losing focus and thinking about other stuff that needs to be done or about other things that interest me.

I have improved my concentration quite a lot by doing the following;

• Maintaining a tidy and organised work area
    • Working to a list, and marking tasks off as I complete them
    • When something distracts me, I add it to the list, rather than working on it immediately
    • Setting goals
    • Endeavouring to stay in the moment and "be here now"
    • Scheduling time for email and social networking so that it doesn't distract from my main work.

Do you have any tips for improving your concentration and focus?

2. Richard Edmonds

Richard Edmonds
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm exactly like you Fergal, always losing concentration, especially when I have been working all day, everyday. I also find your list incredibly useful too, and I perform the following to maintain motivation to get tasks done:
    • BaseCamp for tasks to be entered and ticked off (mainly for bbAuthority)
    • Focus on getting everything done here and now to allow free time to be in one stretch once my days work is complete
    • Allow myself to have social breaks (for around 10 minutes) throughout the day
    • Maintain a healthy lifestyle and good sleeping patterns

I seem to fail at the last point almost 99.9% of the time.

3. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you can't concentrate on you work don't pushed yur self through. Just give your self a bit time. Rest for a while, do some coffee or read some articles if you want. Just do any activity that is not work related, do it for a few minutes. Believe me, after that when you go back to your work everything flows very lightly. Pressure and stress is the reason of being unfosuc and loosing concentration. So good space of time and relax a bit will help. :)

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the replies youngkia1 and Richard. I think you may have pinpointed my issue youngkia1, I need to learn to relax a little more. I've just started doing a couple of yoga exercises in the mornings, that should really help as I get more into it.

5. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We have to keep in mind that concentration is much like a muscle, the more we exercise the stronger it becomes. Start off by concentrating on something fora short amount of time, do it over and over until you master it, you then can take on more at a time and keep going from there. Meditation is also a tremendous tool that helps our bodies relax and concentrate on the things we want to.

6. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice to hear that Fergal, Do it as your routine, self indulgement sometimes will help to become more focus and never satiated on what you are doing. ;)

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestion Gary, sometimes when my concentration is really bad I'll use a count down timer to help keep me working. I'll set it for a short period of time, if I work well during that time I'll add a few minutes to the duration, if I lose concentration I'll reduce the duration by a few minutes. This has really helped me to focus and get work done on some occasions.

8. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome Fergal, glad I could help out. Instead of lengthening and reducing it based on what you're able to do at the moment, try getting your mind accustomed to a certain amount of time, once that happens then you can build on it.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Gary, I will try that and see how it works out.

10. roger

roger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you can improve your concentration level by having confidence in yourself. concentration is something which comes within ourself. its up to us how much we concentrate on our work. there are few steps which will help you to increase your concentration level.

1. keep motivating yourself.

2. have a positive thinking.

3. have self confidence in yourself.

4. have self esteem.

5. keep improving yourself.

6. don't have any kind of stress on yourself.

7. always have time management.

8. think about one thing at a time.

9. try to keep your mind calm.

10. have meditation for half an hour every morning. this will help you to incresase your concentration level.

these are some steps which might help you to increase your concentration level.

11. Blake123

Blake123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My secret is making the goal "visible",
    I write down the pleasant consequences of reaching it or put a picture in my working place ,
    and then I can't thing of anything else

12. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

good point Blake123, I also use the writing method. Also, sticky notes on my screen help me a lot staying focused on my business.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Does that help you to focus on the task at hand? E.g. if your goal is to buy a new car, does having a picture of that new car help you to focus better on your day to day work / business requirements?

14. Henry_Jakson

Henry_Jakson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This was a good introductory to concentration. I like the idea of one-pointed ness, and learning to control your thoughts. Well written. Thanks for sharing with us.

15. vanessalane

vanessalane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re:How to improve your concentration?

In concentration we marshal all our dispersed energies into focusing on just one thing. When mastered, concentration can be of unimaginable benefit in our life; through concentration we can increase our productivity and give ourselves greater peace of mind. These are some suggestions for improving your concentration.

One-Pointedness
    Learn to Control Your Thoughts
    Practice
    Meditation
    Change is as Good as a Rest
    Physical Alertness

16. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pretend you absolutely need the money and you will stay more focused. Even if your fat on the hog operate like you are starving.

17. Rickytaylor

Rickytaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Improve your Concentration

Hi Fergal..I think you are doing almost everything to improve your concentration that one can. I also maintain a diary of tasks that i have to finish everyday, and believe me it works. :cool:

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the additional suggestions everyone. Rickytaylor, I've been working to a schedule with set times allocated to the various projects that I'm working on, this means that at any given time I can focus on one activity without being distracted by other things that need doing. So far it has been working well for me.

The next stage is to start setting weekly goals or a specific mini project that I plan on completing every week.

19. smith

smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is good to work with a pre plan schedule and set small goal. This is defiantly work to improve your concentration.

20. Alcinda

Alcinda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my point of view,there are few steps which will help you to increase your concentration level.
    keep improving yourself.
    have a positive thinking.
    always have time management.
    try to keep your mind calm.
    keep motivating yourself.
    think about one thing at a time.