How to improve my writing skills?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd like to improve my writing skills, e.g. learn how to write more interesting articles, reviews and letters. I believe that practice is probably the best way to do it, but I would also like some other suggestions. Perhaps you know of some websites that offer good suggestions or maybe even a book that I could read?

Thanks!

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am not that good in writing, BUT I have my own ways of improving my writing skills.

When I want to write an article - the best thing to do is to make an outline of what you are going to write about. From the outline itself you will be able to create the flow of your future content. By outlining, you come to answer questions within your content in a good flow and concise manner.

What I can recommend you to join and practice your writing skills is joining EzineAritcles.com.. They do offer their users weekly or monthly tutorials to improve their writing skills. :) Try it, it will be fun learning :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sprinkles

Sprinkles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think you should try writing more often.

4. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal,

I really enjoyed a book called Hypnotic Writing. I bet you would like it. It gives lots of examples of how to capture your audience's attention and keep it. I have put a lot of it to good use since learning his techniques.

• Like Like x 1
  5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always try to make my writing style comprehensive and interesting for readers so I try to mimic narrators of documentaries :D

6. Sprinkles

Sprinkles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thats a good book Fergal. Am a writer, though not a native speaker who is always looking for ways to better my writing skills. I have just gone through the book and all I can say is - this is the best new year present ever!

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks very much for the recommendation Ted, I have ordered a Kindle sample of it from Amazon and will have a look at it later.

Glad you liked it Sprinkles.

8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

why dont you try to submit your article to such article directory such as ezine directory, there is some writing expert reading your article and correct your writing, that's a good way to improve your writing skill

• Like Like x 1
  9. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe you don't need to be a good writer to catch the audience attention. The first and foremost important thing you need before writing is the topic. Is the topic popular or by all means it's interesting? Catchy a picky title, then write the article with proper flow with the first paragraph as an introduction, then the second will be the conflicts, questions or the essence of writing/giving information on that particular topic,next will be your research/findings, personal opinion and the last is your conclusion. Definitely, you can use modern-English to get more readers.

I'm reading several news articles, fitness, blogs and other websites to get ideas on how to write an article and get more viewers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. venumssi

venumssi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recommend two steps: join in Ezinearticles.com to improve grammar and spelling.
    second one more frequently reply in many number of forums.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone for your replies and helpful suggestions. I'm not really looking for tips to improve my grammar and spelling, what I really would like to achieve is making what I write more interesting and compelling to readers.

12. partho

partho
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For improving of your writing skill. read magazine,newspaper,listen newspaper,

13. suba

suba
    uix_expand uix_collapse

some great tips to improve your writing skills.
    1. Read About Writing
    2. Write Everyday
    3. Recheck and edit your writing
    4. Use Compelling headlines
    5. Use short paragraphs
    6. Add Images
    7. Print out great posts

• Like Like x 1
  14. eelizasanchez121

eelizasanchez121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should follow one and only one rule. Read more and write more. You skill will itself be better.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tonydisalva

tonydisalva
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello

some great tips to improve your writing skills.
    a. Read About Writing
    b. Write Everyday
    c. Recheck and edit your writing
    d. Use short paragraphs
    e. Add Images

16. clairebaf

clairebaf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're right practice would help you out enhance your skill. Spend more time in reading and try to learn the author's way of writing and try to build your own. :)

17. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

write exactly the same views which are floating inside your mind in that particular instant,n do not copy anything just write what you are and be what you are,and feel the change in your writing skills.

18. Jimmy R.

Jimmy R.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The tips given are all helpful. Make sure that you read high-quality articles to get familiar with the way they are written. Reading articles with poor quality will only confuse your mind on what is right and wrong. So be careful on what you are reading.

I could not say that I am a very good writer but I am better compared to the past. My friend let me read articles he got from OrderSeoArticles and boy they are really good. Until I was able to adapt such way of writing. So now I can say that I am better. OrderSeoArticles is a site offering article writing services at a very low cost.

Many website owners are considering the company as their partner just like what my friend did. Also, a great offer of FREE website advertisement on Facebook is offered when a purchase of worth $150 is made! Sounds impossible but they are really giving it for FREE!

19. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To improve writing skill, there is nothing to do then just to write down in piece of paper. Keep writing and improve your grammatical mistakes, punctuate your sentences. Consult your teacher when you finish your writing. So, he can tell you more what you can improve further.

20. sanj

sanj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes you are right to improve any skill practice is very Important. when you typing in computer you used MS word its a very powerful MS office tool its automatically highlights your error