How to improve my CTR?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by michelbastos11, Jun 18, 2010.

1. michelbastos11

michelbastos11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I own a small image search engine that has a CTR of about 0.89%. I wish to increase it. I am running Google ads on all sides of the search results. They are center aligned with the images. But should I put them on the left side, as that is the more clicked side on the site? It would look the same as Google then.

Thanks for any help.

2. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Michelbastos11( great soccer player, he's Brazilian of course), what I've learned from a friend of mine about Adsense ads:

1. Place them above the fold, where people don't need to scroll down to see them.

2. Never use the "Sponsored Links" or "Advertisement" above the ads.

3. Let some free space around the ads for them to stand out.

4. Smaller ads on top right and left of the page get more clicks.

Of course there's a lot more tips on this but I think these will be of some help.

This article contains interesting information about how and what the average visitor sees when he visits a website.

3. johnkalli1990

johnkalli1990
    uix_expand uix_collapse

CTR improvement Steps:

1. Use the search phrase in the title then use those keywords in a speech like way in the body text. And if possible, even the domain name. For example. Google.com/adwords
    2. Differentiation between matches, exact, phrase, broad
    3. Look at your competitor's ad and use their great ideas, but always stand out from the rest, Differentiate your ad text
    4. Location, location, location. What place is your ad showing? Does any research indicate that users clicks on the top 3 ad at most and rarely click the 4th. What does the golden triangle state? Is this way your CTR is low.
    5. Unless your company is famous like Google or Yahoo, putting the company name in the Adtext is not relevant, unless the search is for keywords relating to your company's name
    6. Implement at least 3 Adtext. Let them rotate for 2 or 3 weeks and re-work the best one, making variation of it. Now you will let 2 or 3 variations of the best one get rotated. Then do it once more. (3 level of Adtext creation) One month later after the three level creation, create 2 more totally different ad text. See if you can beat that previous "best ad text" variation. Why ever stop making new Adtext; you might get lucky one day and find oil! But is your landing page any good? “ If you can’t sell oil to the middle east, then you would have to go all the way to Chinaâ€￾
    7. Isolate keywords & Cost-benefit analysis - take those keywords that have great CTR and put them in its separate Adgroup. Watch those with really low CTR: Do you really need them. Are they dismissible. Does the cost warrant keeping them

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No one can actually know the result, you gotta make some try on it to know them better
    And 0.89% considered as average for the search engine

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Find out which one catches your visitor's eye more with Feng-GUI. I reviewed it before here. It's a cool tool that tells you literally where their eye is drawn to on your page. I'd say put it wherever you get the most people looking first. :) Take a screenshot and test it with their free evaluation.

http://www.feng-gui.com/

6. mmanceli2010

mmanceli2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ad placement is a big deal. Also, the colors. If your AdSense layout stands out, it won't get clicks. If you remove the border and make the ads look a bit more like the rest of the content on the web site, you'll get more clicks. For example, people tend to expect clickable links to be blue so make sure the title of each ad it blue.

7. stevetorres

stevetorres
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In various ways, STR can be improved. One way is to use keywords in a speech like way in body text after using the search phrase in the title.

8. kamalchandel

kamalchandel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try to use Big Ads like 336 text ad for good CTR. And try to focus on text add, it will much better then the image ads.

9. streetgemini

streetgemini
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You won’t get any clicks if your Adsense layout stands out. You will get more clicks if you make the ads look more like the rest of the content.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

michelbastos11 would you mind sharing a link to your site, so that we can give you specific suggestions?

Have a look at this Google Adsense Heat Map for Google's opinion on the best places to locate ads on your site.

11. josaphlewis

josaphlewis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Make sure to use your search phrase in the title. Analyze the location of your ad. Also, analyze your competitor’s ads. However, do not plagiarize ideas. It would be best if your ads will related to education and business.

12. marktellar

marktellar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is a big deal to have a good ad placement. Your Adsense layout won’t get any clicks if it doesn’t stand apart from the crowd.