How to hire the best employees

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by stagage78, May 17, 2010.

1. stagage78

stagage78
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Everyone,
    For those who are entrepreneurs and HR managers, I will like to share some important things to consider when looking for a new employee to fill any vacant position.
    I will breakdown this process into three-

-Planning and Research

Having the right plans is very important for the hiring process. To be honest more time and energy should be spent in this process for it to be successful.
    Some thing to consider at this stage include, Examining the job description, your budget, Law consideration etc.

-Personality Evaluation

This is the final preparatory stage before the final interview. This stage is where you put all your findings into proper context by creating an evaluating system. This evaluating system should consist of a list of personality traits (experience, education, leadership qualities etc), and applicant evaluation sheet (for the interview).

-Interview

Interviews are design to get the feel of the real applicant than what is in his or her resume. These are some of the important considerations during the interview process.
    -The questions being asked. (Ensure that most of the questions asked are open ended (not yes or no) so as to keep the applicant talking.)
    -Considering the applicant attitude as a whole. (The way the applicant sits and stands, the interaction with other applicant etc)
    -Observe applicant answers to questions.
    -Give room for the applicant to ask questions.

Taking the above steps will make your work force very productive.

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is very good tips on preparing the interview and get the right personal for the position needed. By the way, according to my experience in interviewing the 'potential employee", the mostly happen is they can actually answer those question very well, they have good knowledge in theory and of course they are being hired. However, the problem is coming once it goes to the actual practice, quite number of them can not implement the "theory" into the actual work.

3. stagage78

stagage78
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand the problem, it actually happens atimes. Thats why i advice entrepreneurs and managers to have an inhouse training when the new employees resume work. Take a look at the full article at http://www.howbusiness.org

4. brownnataly21

brownnataly21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, from my point of view the best way to find a good employee is recomendations from the previous works. They can show how well the potential worker did and why left.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Recommendations are indeed very important. They say that the best predictor of future performance is past performance. To find out what a candidate's past performance was like, ask the people they worked for.

6. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I reworked a recruitment system once and what we did worked quite well. The reason we did it was because I could walk into the different branches of the business and very quickly identify some negative personality trends which we called the yes man, the rogue and so on - when I'd hear what had happened in various arms of the business I was always able to correctly identify "who" the person remaining unnamed was.

Seeing I could do that so well I figured we should be able to identify what it characteristics earned the title. For example the rogues were always highly intelligent and confident they knew best because they were so smart - so their answer if they didn't agree with a procedure or system was to pretend to everyone they were following it but behind closed doors to do it their way. In most cases our way was well researched and better because there were longer term consequences they couldn't predict. If theirs was better we changed.

When we had a little idea of personality, what did/didn't work in the organisation as we were we devised some great interview questions to get some better clues about the person at interview rather than once they started. These included a mix of behavior, attitude and experience example questions.

It worked really well and saved us a lot of heartache.

We also added screening questions to our ads that had to be filled in and sent with application (saved a lot of time wading through applications and vetted the ones who's application was prepared by someone else especially since some of our positions required good writing skills.

The whole process helped us minimse our risk as we were subject to some tight regulations in the business.

If you can take time to identify the ideal and not ideal traits for positions in the organisation you can find ways to get an idea at the interview stage. We also supported our new staff with full training, training and position manuals for each role, policies and procedures.

Having a manual helps you to teach them to be self-sufficient in finding the answers because they have a reference at their fingertips so you can move quite quickly from "what/how do I?" to "I think this is what I need to do but just want to check I'm right" to being able to do well.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like you had a very interesting role there Tecknowoman. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

What type of screening questions did you include on the job adverts?

8. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We varied them depending on positions.

For customer service for example we would ask how many years experience they had, experience handling customer complaints, an example of a time they resolved an issue, and that sort of thing, an example of where they were unable to resolve a customer complaint and what they did. that sort of thing but I'm running from memory now!

I think of everything about recruiting until you are interviewing the final 2 or 3 to be a de-selection process rather than a selection so questions that would allow us to weed out applicants we didn't think suitable, more easily.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting you should say that. I remember getting advice from a friend, when I got to the final two in an interview process. Like you, he said that the job was mine to lose and that the interviewers would be looking for a reason not to hire me, when I met them. Thankfully, I got the job.

10. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LOL Fergal once I got to two I hoped they would both give me every reason to employ them. That was the time I considered it a selection and even took it so far as offering the final 2 or 3 an interview opportunity to discuss our concerns and let them put our minds at ease. Nothing worse than not hiring someone based on assumptions.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When I worked in sales I regularly asked potential clients if they had any concerns regarding doing business with our company. This gave them the opportunity to express their concerns and gave me the opportunity to deal with those concerns. When I was attending interviews (I've only done a few) I used the same approach, I asked the interviewers if they had any concerns regarding my fit with the role. It worked well for me, for the same reasons that it worked in sales.

12. Ella Pacey

Ella Pacey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can use this step-by-step method to hire applicants who are likely to be “superstar” employees:
    1. 1st Prediction Method = Brief Initial Screening Interview
    2. 2nd Prediction Method = Customized Pre-employment Tests
    3. 3rd Prediction Method = In-Depth Interview Using Customized Interview Guide Form
    4. 4th Prediction Method = Role-Play
    5. 5th Prediction Method = Realistic Job Preview
    6. 6th Prediction Method = 1 Executive Must Approve All Hiring
    7. 7th Prediction Method = Reference Checks
    They’re Top 7 Steps To Hire The Best of Michael Mercer, Ph.D., is America’s Hire the Best Expert™. Dr. Mercer authored five books, including “Hire the Best -- & Avoid the Rest™”. Many companies rely on his pre-employment test – “Abilities & Behavior Forecaster™ Test” – to help hire the best

13. BertAustin

BertAustin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think, hiring the best employee means a whole lot more than marking off items on a checklist. It takes planning, prioritizing and the ability to spot potential. And this is the compulsory for any business.
    1. Prepare for the Interview
    2. Question the Recruiters
    3. A Variety of Interviewers is Key
    4. Don't Give Away the Right Answers
    5. Take a Good Look at the Résumé
    6. The Actual Interview
    7. Check References
    8. Be Flexible

14. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

probably because they only know theories :D
    or they're are afraid of change. in the face of crisis, some people or even company rely back to the old working theories which obviously are old and sometimes not appropriate at present

15. Gil Burt

Gil Burt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

most are now prefer like best place to stay.........................