How to get users on website and to stay on website with 0 or few users

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by geekatro, Dec 29, 2011.

1. geekatro

geekatro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

This is for an online dating site.

I know how to market and get users to my site, the problem is, how to get people to sign up on a new site with 0 users. Even 100 users, thats not enough to entice them to sign up or even harder, to stay on and be an active user.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joel

2. Jashandeep

Jashandeep
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Make a SEO work on this site.Promote your site all the Search engines like google,yahoo,bing etc.If you need any help in such a task you can contact me .There are many techniques available to get the business.

3. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Joel,

Have you thought about using a Micro Worker site like Amazon Turk just to at least get some sign ups. In the beginning until your idea or site catches on you may have to actual sort of "bribe" people to come. Maybe offer a free gift for each sign up. Maybe a contest that offers free dates or something. The dating industry is very competitive right now so you will have a hard time gaining users without provide some type of incentive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Joel:

Ordinarily, I would agree with Jashandeep, However, I think DaveB has a better idea at this point. If you did use SEO to get your site highly ranked, you may get visitors, but they probably wouldn't stay at a site that has no members. Also, because the online dating industry is very competitive, getting ranked for the right phrases could be way too expensive at this point. On the other hand, a social media program, using DaveB's idea of offering a free gift for signup, or a contest with date(s) as a prize, might bring you more members, then, when you are making enough money, add an SEO program.

• Like Like x 1
  5. geekatro

geekatro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, the incentive is probably the best way to start it until it has enough users to motivate people to sign up. Then start with the marketing aspect.

6. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I can't suggest what to do since I have never used a dating site (I've been married 30 years) but I will tell you what I would NOT do. I often see ads from dating the time with pictures of young attractive identifying them like "Sonja, 22, from [My City}" and "Kelli, 27, from [My City]". These ads are obviously just adding my city to pictures of random girls, probably not even members of their site. Bait and switch is never a good idea for building a user base because you instantly lose the trust of your users.

So, contests and incentives to get people to sign up and stay: Yes. Getting a bunch of people from a site like Amazon Turk to add profiles that will undoubtedly include fake information: NO.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If your site is offering a paid service, offering it free for the first x number of users who sign up, would encourage first time visitors to join, even if it is a little quiet there at the start. For this to work it would be very important that your site has a professional appearance and gives the impression that it has the potential to be very bid and successful in the not too distant future.

I also like the idea of hosting a contest or offering another incentive for your initial members.

8. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This seems like a good idea, I did something similar on one of my sites, and it's helped get a few new users.

9. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll have to agree with Fergal on this one. Offering a paid service with 0 members is not a very good decision. It's basically like paying for nothing. Offer free accounts and do not mention that your site has no members.

10. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will split up marketing activity to target male and female group.

Male group - the first impression for me to register the site, the dating site have pretty girl membership. advise to create 100 fake profiles.

Female group - create 100 mixture of fake guy profile, some of the guy visible contact must reachable.

General group - have top 10 girls and guys keep updating their profile.

(Once complete the onsite content, then only only go for off site marketing - such as contest, link building, promotion.... )