How To Get People To Buy Into Your Ideas

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by TriangleofTruth, Dec 20, 2011.

1. TriangleofTruth

TriangleofTruth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Stan was excited about his presentation. His proposal was perfect. He was confident the senior leadership team would quickly buy into the brilliance of his plan. He was envisioning a fat promotion.

Imagine his surprise when 5 minutes in, the CEO said, “I don’t think so, let’s move to the next item.”

Was it Stan’s idea? Or the way he presented it?

Have you ever had a good idea rejected? Or worse, watched someone else present the exact same idea (2 days or 2 minutes later) and have everyone eagerly support it?

Often it’s not the idea, but the words that precede that determine the level of support you get.

Here’s a three-step technique I teach clients to increase buy-in.

1. Context - Succinctly summarize the situation. View attachment 1019
    2. Framing - Establish a framework to help people understand the topic.
    3. Content - Connect the dots. Present your idea as a logical next step.

Here’s how one of our clients is using this technique to get employee support for a new customer service program.

Context - We’re in a highly competitive marketplace and we want to be number one.
    Framing – It all comes down to products and people. Our products are similar to our competition, but our people are much better.
    Content – We’re launching an initiative to take our customer service from good to excellent.

Providing context and framing before the idea gives people a way to make sense of the information. It’s in alignment with the way our brains work.

When you hear new information your brain immediately scans its arsenal of previous experiences to figure out what the new data means and where it should be slotted. Our minds are always making meaning.

Compare the way our client teed up their program with the way most people present initiatives.

Typically the leader starts by announcing, “We’re introducing a new customer service program.”

The listeners start processing. “How will this affect me? Is this going to be more work? Oh great, another flavor of the month. Why are they doing this? Do they think our service is bad? Why is that man still talking?”

Providing context and framing after presenting the idea is too late because the listeners have already attached their own meaning.

Context and framing up front establishes the meaning in advance. It works in small personal situations, like explaining why you want to make a change in the chore chart.

It also works in high stakes business situations.

Compare and contrast two ways for a CEO to announce a merger.

Traditional approach:

We’re merging with XYZ company. (Freaking out wondering if I have a job)
    We’re excited about this because their products complement ours (Management blah-blah, I’m now texting my spouse.)
    This will make us a bigger stronger company. (More blah-blah as I email a recruiter)

McLeod Context-Framing-Content Technique

Context – We’re always looking for ways to grow our business. (Establishing a positive intent)

Framing – We can either develop new products, or partner with someone who has complimentary products. New products are expensive to create and not always successful. (Providing a framework to examine our options)

Content – We’ve discovered XYZ company. Their products complement ours beautifully so we’ve decided to merge with them.

No matter what the topic, people want to know: Why are you doing this and what does it mean to me?

This technique enables you to answer those questions up front. You will get more buy-in for good ideas and it makes scary news a bit easier to swallow.

Lisa Earle McLeod helps organizations win the hearts and minds of customers and employees. She is the author of three books included the best-seller, The Triangle of Truth: The Surprisingly Simple Secret to Resolving Conflicts Large and Small, A Washington Post Top 5 Book for Leaders.

She is an international keynote speaker and consultant who has been seen on The Today show and featured in Forbes, Fortune, CEO Read and The Wall Street Journal. You can reach her at www.LisaEarleMcLeod.com

2. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Make your business more clear and specific to get attention of people. The more it will be easy to understand the more it will grow up. Make things clear for your customer and deliver what you promise.

3. KacieParker

KacieParker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have done due diligence and you are really passionate about your idea and vision, you will naturally attract people into your ideas.

4. infinityweb

infinityweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pretty cool ideas. I think most of the time people prefer direct and clear information. it is also same with presenting a report.

5. diggersjohn33

diggersjohn33
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good stuff!

6. Addaneye123

Addaneye123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Create your business more clear and specific to get attention of people. The more it will be clear and understandable the more it will mature. Create things clear for your client and produce what you guarantee.

7. jack123456

jack123456
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very awesome thoughts. I think most of the time people desire immediate and clear information. it is also same with introducing a review.

8. Oquotes

Oquotes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, the more you try to influence, the less you succeed. Educate and inform instead!

9. Tiger13

Tiger13
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fantastic assessment on decoding business proposals or how to address employees. Attaining the right levels of business leadership training, whether it's establishing and maintaining a good HR department to oversee every department, a well-laid plan for the year and beyond and so forth, is an assertive, but professional line all higher ups must be able to grasp.

10. MariaGomes

MariaGomes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your ideas should be creative and unique enough to attract people. I love designing server racks and had started a website on it. But my site started to gain attention when i wrote blogs and shared information.

Regards
    Maria Gomes

11. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes! of course, Ideas must be creative and attractive. Concise Ideas helps people to understand it easily. Ideas should be comparable with the good worth against other ideas.

#11 Navida, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  12. sallya121

sallya121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Without special and interesting ideas ,it is difficult to attract people now .Anyway if it is well planed and feasible,it will be ok.

13. Mark.Sanchez

Mark.Sanchez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think its all about the research you do that which issues are going on into the market that needs to be solved in terms of office dealings. This way you can get good sales.

14. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As long as you stay credible, honest and maintain integrity within your business will make you retain and gain more people and customers in buying into your ideas and products. Give them the most recent update that they should be getting and give them at least the best option that they can have from your business.

15. glitchkids

glitchkids
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it also helps to point out how the new idea will affect the individual or how he/she can benefit from it. I think really pushing for this helps get people interested in what you are saying.

16. amit

amit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Create of blog then share idea of all people.

17. ilovedesign

ilovedesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great tips TriangleofTruth! I just recently had an episode where my idea got shot down, but then watched as a co-worker’s idea (almost identical to mine) was accepted 6 days later. It’s tough sometimes, but then I think everything’s just a learning experience.

18. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is really too bad, But first of all make your proposal short and easy to understand that's why investor will really listen into it.

19. friendlyshower

friendlyshower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why on earth should anyone buy into your idea?