How to get over the fear of public speaking?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Zwillson, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Zwillson

Zwillson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How to get over the fear of public speaking?

2. marya.mrtin

marya.mrtin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

its very simple just go in front of public look at them and think what you do never think what people looking for and do ur work.

3. bjdea2

bjdea2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best solution is to repeatedly speak to progressively larger groups of people. Start with your family, friends, then build up to larger groups. The more you do it the more the phobia diminishes, though it will never 100% disappear. Also learn to accept that phobia's are part of life and that in general we'll never master all of life's challenges, we can only learn to manage the negative feelings (fear/anxiety/tension/nerves) and accept they are something we'll wrestle with our entire life. One thing however is if you have a really important motivation behind you that will help you to overcome the focus on your own self. For example anyone would quickly overcome the fear of public speaking if someones life depended it. So if you're talking about something you passionately believe is important for your hearers to hear then your concern for them (love) would further help you overcome your own fears. So it helps to be talking about something that you believe is worthwhile to your audience.

4. alastairbrian

alastairbrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Before addressing the public, you always have to think that I have more knowledge about the topic and no one know more than me...It will give u a sence of confidence and you automatically improve your speech.

5. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Practice makes a man perfect. Go ahead for some speak and you will get confidence altogether.

6. newmediaservices

newmediaservices
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me I when I get nervous when I am in front of many people and I needed for a speech, all I need to be taking a deep breath, think of something that is nice and very positive and let myself feel more relaxed. I see to it that what I am doing is not only for the benefits of others but as well for me. That is all.

7. ConanLake

ConanLake
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thinking psychologically in the right direction should help, such as thinking that you are not going to fail, focussing on your goals, a lot of practice, and getting rid of the fear and worrying by thinking that the audience will do nothing to you.

8. Tom Woods

Tom Woods
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I too had a large fear of public speaking. I found that Tom's blog on fear of public speaking had lots of good tips. The best advice I can give is to practice and get used to presenting and speaking in public. Public speaking Tips and techniques can be used to help calm the nerves before speaking.

9. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's all about the confident, if you have enough confident, the fear will gone. And to build up your confident, you need a knowledge
    If you have good knowledge on what you going to speak, then you have no fear

10. alisesdigs

alisesdigs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Practicing in front of a mirror and in front of close friends can be a big help. However, for me, public speaking is totally a mind game. I have to almost pretend to be confident in front of large groups but I've found that by doing this no one will even notice.
    Think of Nike "Just do it" and hopefully it will get easier over time. As always, I recommend some yoga or breathing activities when nerves start to get the best of you.

11. Vikram Anand

Vikram Anand
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is an old saying which says "When you face the things you fear, the fear will disappear"
    So if you have fear of public speaking, the best solution is to face your fear. Even if it is embarrassing, start speaking to small groups. Once your get the confidence, you can apply the same philosophy to speak to larger group.

Overcoming your fear for public speaking is not an overnight process. But if you consistently make efforts, soon you can overcome that fear. It's only a matter of practice.

12. Webcs-Peter

Webcs-Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best way is to try to do that as often as possible.
    It's better try and fail than never try it.

13. spyindiaankur

spyindiaankur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very nicely described by you "Vikram"...One thing I would like to add here is, when in public speaking remember that only you know more about the topic and others know very less of it. Forget about others knowledge and intelligence, when you have the chance, you have the command and only you are the intelligent one there.

14. SConsultant

SConsultant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Practice, practice, practice.
    Nowadays one can easily record the session and then correct the main mistakes. I remember our training on this, I was so terrified myself with fear I almost cried. Then we invited to see our recorded "show" alone. Then next round, record, and now evaluation with a professional presenter. Third time: main show. I have all three videos; from that moment on I enjoy public speaking :)
    Rehearsal in front of friends / close relatives is a good practice at first.

15. Arizona

Arizona
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Know your subject inside out.. takes away a lot of the nerves. Understand how may people will be in the audience and the layout of the room in advance, it gives you the chance to know if you will have to stay in one place or you can move around whilst talking.

I've done lectures at Uni in front of 30/40 people which was fine as they were there to learn so I knew there would be plenty of opportunities to throw in some questions to them.. that helps and breaks up the constant talking. I've done speeches at conferences to peers and it was all about being comfortable with the information I was talking to.

The main thing I've learnt over the years is to prepare, know where you will pause, know where you will ask for input and know what kind of pointer or slide turning device will be in operation - BUT - be prepared for things to go wrong and have a great smile if they do....

16. stevex

stevex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Believe on yourself. And don't care about how many people are sitting in front of you.

17. irisyang

irisyang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I usesd to do as you,,You should be confident enough,don't care too much about the effect,just do you want to....Finally gain the sense of fulfillment

18. Aleena

Aleena
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    The more social you become the more fearless you become. So I believe the best way to overcome your fear is to attend social and public events. This way you learn a lot and you will become more confident.

19. Sameer shokat

Sameer shokat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think its a natural gift of almighty God and that have many few people but i completely agree with there guy,s ,they are mention one very beautiful line that is Practice make,s a man Perfect and also boost up his confidence well ,i think the best thing is talking openly & freely with people and feeling no hesitation than you will gain your speaking power .......!

Regard:
    Samerr shokat