How to get listed in DMOZ ?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by slinfy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. slinfy

slinfy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have submitted our websites in dmoz directory but dmoz is not accept our single website also.

2. sanjayyadav

sanjayyadav
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have also tried for this but it's very difficult.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It takes a long time to get approved in DMOZ. DMOZ themselves say, "it may take several weeks or more before your submission is reviewed." My experience is that it takes much longer, perhaps a year to eighteen months. When did you submit your site?

4. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
  5. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to list you company in Dmoz first of all you keep in your mind submit your site to the right category which is the main thing.

6. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Submit your site and forget it. If you're lucky than site will be listed

7. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with this. When my site was finally accepted into DMOZ, nearly 4 years had passed. My site was much larger and much more popular than it was when I applied. After awhile, I carried on without it, resigning myself to building the best site I could - despite DMOZ. Eventually, I got listed.

8. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I used to be a DMOZ editor, several years ago. I found that some editors are very active, others have basically stopped visiting the site (like I did). Some categories don't even have editors and must rely on editors of the primary category or an editor at large to stop by and check out the sites that have been submitted. It is pretty much the luck of the draw.

Make sure that your site is good and that your submission follows the guidelines. If your site is not very good or if your submission reads like an advertisement, your chances of getting listed drop to about zero. If your site is still a work-in-progress, wait until it is more or less finished so that the reviewer can see the near-final result.

Finally, have a great deal of patience.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting article, I also heard of editors selling approvals on webmaster forums. Approval is supposed to be free and independent, but there was a story going round about an editor who abused his or her position by offering to approve sites in return for a bribe.

However, I would still be prepared to submit a site there - it doesn't cost anything and it doesn't take long to do. If it gets approved great and if it doesn't get approved there's no harm done.

10. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not familiar with the dirty tricks there Pat, but the article is already 7 years old.
    Google may be already in this and we just didn't know if they already sort it out.
    When I handle the website I am optimizing the website is already in their directory.
    Although DMOZ listing is very hard to gain. You gotta wait and wait a long time like Fergal said.
    If the information is legit then its a plus points if you got in.

I think I watched a video or an interview with Matt (Cutts) that said that they pulled out data from DMOZ too.

11. rajesh

rajesh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Submit your website to DMOZ and forget about it. Sometimes, DMOZ may take about 6 months in indexing your website in its directory.

12. arindamdutta16

arindamdutta16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The DMOZ directory in anything less than geologic time frames is next to impossible. Most SEOs submit their sites and then forget about ever getting listed. A DMOZ editor for the category in which you have applied to have your website listed. Applying to become a DMOZ editor is easy. Getting accepted is a little bit harder, but definitely doable. The first step is to find the category that best describes your website.

13. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You guys have to expect that it will really takes, week, months, or even a year to approved a website listing in any directories and expect longer time in DMOZ. Just like what they say, they are reviewing the websites manually.

here's my tip:
    Make sure about the website's title description and keywords. Make sure it really fits on your site. Submit it in the right and proper category. (Don't expect them to transfer or move your submission in other categories.)

Just submit once only. Do not spam their sites. Wait until you receive the notifications whether it's approved or not.

Hope that helps a little. :)

14. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wait and still wait, nothing much you can do. Because they update the directory by hobby instead of work responsible.

15. kishoreshere

kishoreshere
    uix_expand uix_collapse

CAn any one suggest the easy way to get list in DMOZ

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

17. micheal.burns1

micheal.burns1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Select the right category for submission of your URL. Avoid self-promotional text in description. Analyze the text description of similar niche and than only write description for your site.