How to get a blog popular?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Jay., Feb 15, 2013.

1. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know there's a whole bunch of articles online about various methods of getting a blog popular, but I don't just want to hear 'SEO'. I'd really appreciate a more detailed explanation how to get a Wordpress blog from scratch to getting a decent amount of real traffic (ideally without paying out huge amounts of cash, either).

Is it true that most of the work is done for you with Wordpress and as long as you're providing good content, no further work is needed? Or is the only true way to getting a successful and popular blog to use other methods?

Please help me since I'm a little confused and overwhelmed by the whole thing.

2. ankur625

ankur625
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have budget you can hire professional seo expert or do on your own. SEO is hard but not impossible. "Content is king" provde fresh and quality content on your blog/website, do some quality link building and your blog can become popular. Actually SEO is not small subject so no one can explain you all the points in 1 post. So do some research on SEO, read newest articles and new algorithm changes. If you have budget you can use Google Adwords to get traffic.

3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Jay. If you want to get a blog popular then, you have to get a good blog name. Also, taglines and keywords help you to gain some traffic from google.com.

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I almost quit trying to make my travel blog popular after doing adwords campaign for it.
    What I'm currently doing is having tons of images in my blog that people can just grab. these images don't have any watermarks so they can use it for whatever they may want. I'm hoping they will give something back to me to make my website popular.

5. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are not a fan of seo then you can simply rely on social networking sites to get you the desired traffic. You should have posts that your readers would like reading and in turn share that would give you higher traffic.

If you are using Wordpress you can get seo plugins which would help you do some optimization without much effort. You can also ask your readers to subscribe to your posts by email so even if they miss visiting your blog when they read the excerpt of the posts in the email they can come back to the blog.

Hope this helps.

6. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks guys, some great responses, very helpful. :)

Is it worth me posting comments on fairly similar blogs, and including my link in the post somewhere?

7. Matijasevic

Matijasevic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes Jay. maybe it will works, but only on releated blogs. And post quality comments.. :)

8. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Posting comments on blogs in the same niche is a win win. You get backlinks plus the possibility of people who are interested on your topic clicking through. Just don't be spammy. In all honesty I think it is getting more and more difficult for start up blogs to make a name for themselves. There is so much content out there and the top positions are routinely held by the big boys it takes so much effort to get noticed.

If you are writing about something you enjoy, my advice would be to just keep going and not worry too much about traffic and revenues. If you keep plugging away it will come, eventually. I launched a blog in 2009 and it took 2 years before it was making a decent income, at which point I sold it for a good price. Good luck.

9. bethw

bethw
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Making a blog popular is every bloggers dream.
    Customize your blog as per the subject and make it attractive.
    Add informative content and support that with videos and podcasts
    Participate in blog communities and add your blog there
    Frequent bloging in regular intervals matters

10. abhirampathak3

abhirampathak3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

01) Customize your blog design
    02) Add your blog to blog communities
    03) Write tutorials and pillar articles
    04) Be a guest author on popular blogs
    05) Give something to download for free

11. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Jay,

Think about it this way….

A blog is just another way to use a website to deliver a benefit to a person or group of people.

Instead of thinking about “How can I build a popular blog?” maybe you should start by doing something like this:

Visit a blog that you think is similar to what you want to do.

Then ask yourself these questions:

Why do people visit this blog? What selfish benefit do they get for themselves by visiting this blog?

There has to be something in it for them or else they wouldn't go there. What is their underlying motivation for going there?

Take a piece of paper and list out every single reason you can think of.

If a blog is popular, it is because it is fulfilling a want, need or desire in the market. Maybe people visit that site because they want to be part of that community. They use it as a place to socialize. Maybe people visit that site to just learn one specific piece of information and then leave. Maybe people visit that site because it helps them make an intelligent purchase decision about a product or service. Maybe the people visit that site because it makes them laugh or feel good about themselves in some other way. Maybe the people visit that site to stay informed or as part of a continuous learning process. Maybe they visit that site because it tugs at them emotionally.

Maybe there are different groups of people who visit that site for very different reasons? Are there ways that you can categorize the different types of people who visit that site and the primary reasons for why each of those groups visits there?

Then ask yourself this:

“How can I build a business model that will deliver that benefit to that group while making money for myself in the process?”

Maybe that means launching a blog. Maybe that means launching a forum. Maybe that means writing an eBook. Maybe that means creating a membership site. Maybe that means doing something completely different.

If you can consistently deliver a bigger benefit than the other sites where these people are already getting that benefit, then your site will gain in popularity automatically. Just keep delivering on that benefit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rank90

rank90
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Join some popular forums and blogs under your niche and create quality link building from them. In this way, you can get more traffic and make your blog popular.

13. Beth

Beth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, the popularity of your blog is totally in the hands of the content of the blog. Content matters in a very broad manner.If your content will not be to the mark and relevant also, then its of no use and people will discard it. So, go for right content with the right title and as per the right targeted audiences.
    This will definitely work. :)

14. spyindiashiv

spyindiashiv
    uix_expand uix_collapse

social networking can help to make your blogger popular. and post article related to your blog. means content should be related to your blog. m sure it will help you.

15. brandy

brandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the ways is to create original and quality content. The other way is to invite experts of the topic of your blog (niche market) to participate in guest blogging. Interview these experts on your blog and this will make it to become popular.

16. ashokaa

ashokaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Through social bookmarking and regular work on your blog are very helpful techniques to improve traffic your blog. These activities can make your blog popular.

17. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my point of view, popular blog is born if the topic, niche, posts are the most searched by people online. Your blog must contain the best and related results on their searches, attractive graphics, designs or effects, family-friendly content, and collaborative blog site.

18. amal

amal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In additon to SEO techniques you can add social media communities to your blogs. You can add some appealing articles to your blogs to attract visitors. PPC and email marketing can also contibute in promotion of your blog.

19. joindme

joindme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Including a video seems to help. Put a series up so it'll give something for them to come back to. I know that you mentioned a blog and not a youtube channel, but something to get people to feel more personable with you will help them see that you're a person just like them. Often people forget that when browsing the net. Good luck!

20. sherlynjames

sherlynjames
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Post Unique Contents regularly and try to post images more.