How to generate online sales using forums

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Leon, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Leon

Leon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just a few tips for those who own online stores on how best to generate sales on their sites using forums as the advertising point for their product(s)...

1. Don't advertise anywhere in the hope of gaining customers. This is the single biggest mistake a lot of online store owners make. If you are advertising generally on all forums, then you're wasting time, when you could be spending more time concentrating on advertising on a particular niche site which is related to the types of products you sell. There is only one

For example, you don't want to be advertising your online store selling sunglasses on a childrens' toys forum, you'd be much more suited going to a holiday forum to advertise your store.

2. Check the rules of the particular forum before making posts. Many sites disallow advertising unless you've already contributed a certain amount of content, or only allow it in certain areas of the forum, and some allow it only in signatures. Some even disallow advertising completely! Make sure you check the rules of the forum and abide by them at all times, it's not worth getting banned from the forum for breaking the rules just because you think it'll get you that tiny bit more promotion. Not only will this extinguish your rights to advertise there at all, it will also give your store/reputation a bad name on those forums, and that can spread to other areas of the internet very easily.

3. Always use a signature if it's available. If you have the rights or ability to use a signature on a forum where you post, and you are allowed to advertise websites there, then use it. It can't hurt you and can only assist you in boosting your Google SEO rankings. Always link with anchor text, as this is the most SEO-friendly way to link to your sites, and anyone interested can just click anywhere on your text to go to your site.

These are possibly the three biggest tips you should bear in mind when considering advertising your online store(s) via forums.

Make sure you're following these, and you're guaranteed to be generating at least some sales if you're putting in a good amount of time to posting on these forums with useful posts.

Good luck!

2. anurocked

anurocked
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice Post and very informative,Thanks for sharing information.

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good post. But I would like to say that it does not need to be always on a particular niche. Sometimes it pays a bit to outreach into "not-so-related-but-close-niches".
    Have you read the post from SEOMoz about random affinities? It talks about how to outreach in some ways that would not harm rather benefit somehow your website.

You may want to check it here to explain it all: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/growing-your-audience-with-random-affinities
    But I am not saying that you should do it. It depends on you. Know what, where and how will you outreach outside your niche. :)

Thanks,
    Mark T

5. Leon

Leon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I wrote the above guide fairly quickly compared to some others I wrote, so not every single thing you need to know will be included, admittedly.

Close niches are fine, but like I said, for example, posting about your gaming store on a fashion/clothes forum generally isn't worth your time and won't help you generate sales to your store.

6. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

its simply advertising to the right audience.

7. Leon

Leon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Effectively, that's what this article is all about, however, not everyone knows exactly how to target the right audiences. That's what I'm hoping my article will help people do!

Thanks for commenting. :)

8. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Leon, your very last words are the ones too many people overlook. If your signature links are appended to a useless or spammy post, you are turning off the very audience that you are trying to sell to. It amazes me how many people think that it is a productive exercise to post utterly worthless material just to get their name in front of people. You see it on virtually every forum, even this one.

Wake up people and put your time to better use! One decent post does you more good than a dozen short posts that say nothing more than "thanks for the post." In the same vein, starting a thread such as "Who is your favorite actor" or "What is your favorite color" does NOTHING to help sell your product.

9. Leon

Leon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's exactly correct. Many people think that the more posts you make, the more your link will be seen which is better, however, this is not always the case, if you post in threads which are getting a lot of traffic and reads because they contain useful information, your link is more likely to be seen.