How to gain sales and interest in a new Product in Australia

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by bcurko, Oct 19, 2010.

1. bcurko

bcurko
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Guys,

I have been granted access to a new form of sports tape currently not available in Australia. I have started a website to direct consumers to but I'm not to sure what to do next. I'm thinking of contacting football clubs, physio's and other sporting organisations to see if they are interested in the product. Would love to get some ideas on what people would suggest I do.

I'm open to anything at this point

Brenton

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That sounds like a good place to start, Brenton. Can you give us a look at the website so we can see the product please?

Who are the top competitors for this type of product? You could check out their websites and look at their current stockists.

3. bcurko

bcurko
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Kay the website is still in its final design stages before being publicly released, the product is a new form of sports tape designed to aid and assist muscular repair and reduce strain.

My competitors are not really in the same product area or new innovation. I know for a fact that the product I am trying to resell in Australia has been used by the Korea National Team as the manufacture has told me. below are some images relating to the product.

This is the product and I have an exclusive agreement to resell it within Australian and territories surrounding as stipulated within my agreement with the country.

http://img820.imageshack.us/i/packaging.jpg/

http://img252.imageshack.us/i/advanatages.jpg/

http://img841.imageshack.us/i/tapeb.jpg/

Let me know what you think

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The product looks impressive bcurko. In addition to being in the sporting goods category it could also fit into medical goods categories. Do you know if it is sold by pharmacists in other countries? If I was purchasing a product like that I would be a lot more comfortable buying it from a pharmacist rather than a department or grocery store.

I have had a similar tape used on my back before (to strap it up after a relatively minor injury), it was put there by a Physio so I can see how they would be a good sales channel. In fact I would probably be reluctant to use a tape to treat a strain or injury, unless it was recommended by a Physio or Doctor.

Is it possible for you to also sell to doctors?

I like Kay's suggestion regarding looking at how competing products are sold. It might also be a good idea to speak to the manufacturer and ask them about how it is distributed and the type of outlets it is sold at in other countries. What works in other countries could also work in Australia.

Good luck with it and please keep us posted on your thoughts?

5. bcurko

bcurko
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cheers Brenton

PS the Bold writing is my response -)

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like a good idea. If you do a mail drop make sure you follow it up with a phone call. In fact a more thorough approach would be to 1) phone them and gain their agreement to receive the mailing, 2) send the mailing and 3) make the follow up sales call.

Try and approach people you know first, perhaps you are a member of a club or you know members of some local clubs. This will give you the opportunity to pitch your product to people who are friendly to you. Even if they don't buy ask them for some feedback on your sales approach, as this will be very valuable as you continue selling to other people.

They will still have plans as to how and where the product will be sold. Nothing wrong with asking them for ideas and suggestions.

Ask the manufacturer if they will be doing any advertising or other promotional campaigns in your area. If they are it will make it easier for you to sell and promote the product. Purchasing ads like that, would be a big expenditure up front. The best approach for you could be to try the direct sales approach first and then consider ads later, when you have more experience of the product and your target market.

As regards pricing, you will obviously want to sell it for as high a price possible. Try to find out what competing products are selling for and base your price on them. That doesn't mean selling at the same price as them - if your product is better you should be able to sell it at a higher price.

I would say that the most important thing for you to do is to just get out there selling it. Don't over-analyse your sales approach. Set up appointments with potential customers, ask them some research questions so that you can learn more about their purchasing habits and their requirements. Then ask if they would be interested in purchasing your product. You will learn so much from speaking to potential customers and you can tweak your sales methods as you progress.

7. haiwin

haiwin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you may list products on various classified ad sites