How to follow up the potential clients after no reply?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Jbill2014, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Jbill2014

Jbill2014
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After sending quotation to our clinets, if they have no reply, how to follow up?

2. HooktoWin

HooktoWin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Jbill2014,

There are lots of things you can do to continue to follow-up with a no reply. Here's a short list.

• Share articles, blog posts, tips, etc. related to their work/project.
    • Share information on the potential problems they're facing with their project and their options for solving it.
    • Call them out directly and ask if their situation has changed.
    • Share helpful tools or resources that they can use.
    • Share personal things you think they'd like e.g. stories, foods, places, family, etc.

There's a common thread with all of these responses. You're approaching them as an equal. But you have to do specific things to stay one (in their mind).

1. Don't beg for their business. As soon as you do, you confirm their suspicions about you and their respect for you plummets.
    2. Avoid pestering or harassing them in hopes of getting them to respond to you.
    3. Understand that their silence speaks just as loudly as their words.

It's common for poor sales people and marketers to approach customers with a needy or insecure spirit. Don't be like them.

You can do it!

Andrew

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jbill2014

Jbill2014
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Andrew, Thank you very much. It is useful and i will try in next follow.

4. boysingh

boysingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmmm, well done and well said Hook2win, this really shows how to do the method for it the simpler way.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I agree with most of what Hook2Win has said, except for the fifth item on the list -"Share personal things you think they'd like e.g. stories, foods, places, family, etc." Unless it is somehow related to the reason why they considered hiring the company, I see no reason for this. I do, however, think a follow up is necessary, even if the potential client does not contact you. They have their own business to run, and they may forget to call back. A follow up phone call would remind them that "I meant to call you yesterday". It also shows that you care about their needs and want to help with them. If you just send them a proposal and wait for them to call, they may think you don't care about their business, so why should they hire you.
    Of course, the other three points are just as important. If you repeated call them and they don't respond, it probably means they decided, for whatever reason, not to hire you. If that is the case, move on.

6. MarkHache

MarkHache
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hook to Win has some great points - this all falls under what's called "Lead Nurturing" and there's a ton of good information/ideas out there on sites like Hubspot, Marketo, and others.

7. golden-process

golden-process
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed. You should follow up just a couple of times, but do it from a place of prosperity and not scarcity and need. One little tip on following up if you're leaving a voice mail or sending an email is to put specific dates in there. For example, "Hi Joe, this is Jared. I'm calling to see what you decided on [the thing]. I haven't spoken with you in 2 weeks. Let's set [x date and time] as our next meeting to work through the details."

8. azraf

azraf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Andrew to give such nice guideline. I think it will also help me a lot.
    Also, sharing success stories of current clients with this organization may added extra value.

9. HooktoWin

HooktoWin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Jbill2014 & azraf , you're very welcome. Please let me know if you need any additional help.

boysingh and MarkHache thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it.

joeroxx, the reason I mentioned #5 is due to the fact that several cultures view relationship as a pre-requisite for doing business together. Common interests (whether new or established) are excellent starting points for building this kind of relationship.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jaynorth

jaynorth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes begging for business wouldn't be a good idea, rather keeping the clients in the loop through floating essential news, does helps in growth of the business.

11. boysingh

boysingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, the thing that is really important is to get their attention and decision by the time that you make that follow up call.

12. Christina Maria

Christina Maria
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for sharing this!! I am selling properties units and I experienced having all kinds of clients that you posted here. Now I know how to make better follow-ups.

13. HooktoWin

HooktoWin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome Christina, glad I could help!

14. sunoy14

sunoy14
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Those were some great points HooktoWin. I keep forgetting these things and become focused on myself and my business. I forget that the customers' success is my success :)
    I made one my friends my affiliate and now I realise I have been pestering him :D. I need to change my tactics.
    Thanks for the reminder.

15. HooktoWin

HooktoWin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the kind words sunoy14, glad I was able to help. :)

16. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I believe in follow up or move on if still in the sales cycle of nurturing or negotiating. One stuff that is worked for me is to request them to process it soon on their end, as it is end of the month and I have my quota to be hit. They would help me earn something better for this month. This said on a call or an email has really made 3 customers of mine get back immediately!

17. melisalissa05

melisalissa05
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All your points are really true, especially the last one to increase traffic and sales for this only most of the freelancers are works in forums.