How to find the elusive Wholesaler?

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Nazreen, May 30, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I cannot stress enough the importance of finding a wholesaler either when starting a retail business or just buying office furniture and supplies for your new office. The reason is simple. If you're buying from a retailer or middleman, you'll be paying more that when you buy from a wholesaler. Even if you're just selling in ebay, whether you're a casual or seasoned seller, you need to get the best deals for your products or merchandise in order to compete with other retailers.

You might be saying that it's better to go direct to the manufacturer instead because if you do this, the manufacturer might even give you a better price than the wholesaler. Well you're always welcome to try this but more often than not, manufacturers don't like to deal directly with retailers. The main reason for this is that they're already too busy manufacturing their products that they don't have the time for handling and distributing to retailers. They would rather sell to the wholesalers in bulk because they already have their hands full in their manufacturing operations. This leaves us with the second best option again and that is looking for a wholesaler.

So how do we find a real-deal wholesaler then? How about if we google "Wholesaler"? I just did and came up with a list of sites claiming to be wholesalers or claiming to be a directory of real-deal wholesalers. An example of this is wholesalerscatalog.com, where they require you to pay a fee to get a list of wholesalers. So, "Shall I pay for the fee then to get this list?", you might ask. My answer would be a definite NO. Most of these wholesaler catalogs and directories that they're selling are mostly junk and they're not even wholesalers at all, they're just middlemen and retailers. There are also a lot of scams out there proclaiming that they are wholesalers and that you can make a lot of money by selling their products. Once again, these are just after your money. These scams spend a lot of money doing talks and spending money on advertising online so that their websites will appear at the top when you search for them in search engines. So I guess this is one area where google has failed to provide the correct search results.

You might get pissed at me and ask, "Why not just give me the answer to this question?". Well the answer is already in this post, we just have to go and look. The answer to this question lies with the manufacturer. Who else know the identity of their wholesalers than the manufacturer themselves? So the next time your looking for wholesalers of a particular product, call the manufacturers directly and ask them if they're willing to sell to you. If not, ask them who their wholesalers are in your area and they would gladly tell you.

To know the name of manufacturers is another story though and I'll tell you in another thread. Hahaha, just kidding. The name of manufacturers is usually at the bottom/back of the product itself. You can also see this information in product catalogs. :)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you are a reseller, it is obviously very important to buy your products or services as low a cost as effectively possible. If you don't, your competitors will buy cheaper than you and undercut your price.

#2 Fergal, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Those who've made their fortune online in ebay and/or yahoo auctions benefit very much from buying from a wholesaler. I would also like to add that some of these titanium powersellers don't even want to be bothered by shipping at all. They do this by a supply chain management technique that is called dropshipping whereby the retailer transfers the customer's order to the dropshipper (wholesaler) and the wholesaler will handle everything about the packaging and shipping of the merchandise.

There are obvious benefits to dropshipping and the most obvious is the elimination of shipping costs, time and manpower for packaging, and also remove the necessity of having warehouse space. There are also risks involved in dropshipping, howerver, whereby a particular product might already be sold out so be sure to check with them regularly for the availability of stocks of products or merchandise. You also don't have any control about the shipping and will negative feedback if the shipment arrives late.

4. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would just like to add something here.
    Manufacturer -> Wholesaler -> Retailers -> Customers.

When the products finally to the actual cosumers i.e customers then the price is double or tripled when they buy them. So, it is good to be always in contact with manufacturer if not at least with wholesaler because when the products gets sold by the Retailers then,

Manufacturer to WholeSaler -> x price (say), and WholeSaler to Retailer -> (x+1) say and finally Retailer to Customer -> (x+2) say.

It's shows that how can you be in profit consulting with above dealers in order to profit yourself and eventually for the business is the best.

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When starting a retail (reseller) business, whether it's a brick-and-mortar or in any of the auction sites like ebay or yahoo auctions, you're often going to find a lot of people waiting and circling around like a pack of vultures, ready to descend on your hard-earned money. They will promise you get-rich quick schemes for $49.99, reveal you their amazing secrets for a limited offer of $39.99, sell you their e-commerce business for a mere $99.99, etc.

We should all use our common sense. If their systems really work and can make anyone rich, why are they selling it? Yes, they probably have fooled countless other people and that's how they get rich but we mustn't be fooled. Don't believe and listen to them.

Same is true with finding real-deal wholesalers. These scammers pretend to be wholesalers or sell you a directory or catalog of wholesalers, but they're really not. They're really merely retailers or middlemen. I'd just like to add Middlemen to DEADMAN's illustration above.

Manufacturer -> Wholesaler -> Middlemen -> Retailers

These middlemen can be in the form of MLM schemes (or pyramid schemes). If you enter an MLM scheme, you're really at the bottom of that scheme and the ones above you (the middlemen) are just feeding off from you.