How to find a supplier that you trust?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by elids1979, Apr 15, 2010.

1. elids1979

elids1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all
    I am currently looking into the option of importing marketed brands of clothing to Israel.
    Most of the importers i ran into are either Indian or from Sri Lanka, places far away from my country, that i know nothing about.
    My question is, how can i the importers that i come across are legit, meaning, that if i send them 1000$ for clothes, they will not run away with the cash
    Its not through ebay sadly, so the mechanizm of past transactions with other customers does not exist.
    Is there a site that i can use with a list of importers that already have a reputation and can be trusted, is there any other way to get this kind of information?
    thanks in advance
    Eli

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

One option is to search for reviews on potential suppliers in Google. If they have been scamming people, it is quite likely that someone will have posted about it somewhere on the Internet.

You could also offer to pay half up front and the second half when you receive delivery. That you, you are both sharing the risk and if they don't deliver you won't have lost as much payment.

Some credit cards, provide buyer protection and can refund payment if the supplier does not deliver the goods. Check with your own credit company and then offer to pay the supplier via credit card.

If the supplier's country of origin has an embassy or consulate in your area, contact them and ask if the supplier is a bona fide registered business.

Insurance companies will often protect against this type of risk. Contact your company or other local insurance companies / brokers and ask them if they can help you out.

Start off by placing small orders. This will give you a good feel as to how reliable the supplier is and what they are like to do business with, without risking a lot of money.

Another option is to consider is getting credit reports on the supplier. seanstevens could point you in the right direction for that one.

Good luck with it!