How to do SEO for a single page website

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by rudradhar, Oct 8, 2012.

1. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi BAF,

I am creating a new website for a client, and I think a single page website / layout will be pretty neat. There is not that much detailed content

I have the basic structure with sections and links like:

#home / #products / #equipment / #services / #contact.

Now from what I understand is that Google does not index links containing #, so there will be no problem of duplicate content, everything will be indexed as the frontpage.

Now what I want to optimize is searching. This company is agent of some product in the country, meaning only they have the permission to import and sell that product. This means that when somebody searches for product x, this website pops up as the first hit.

Now can I make it that they will be automatically brought to the #products part of the website directly from google.

I was thinking of something like having google index the different sections as different pages. Is something like that possible?

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm sure you have thought of this before but yes put the #product in the first paragraph of index.html :lol:

3. borgninestallone

borgninestallone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is very much hard to do SEO for a single webpage. But if your content is outstanding you can able to rank for 2 to 3 keywords for a single webpage.

4. pentawebexperts

pentawebexperts
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes i am quite agreed with borgninestallone as i am doing seo for a single page web site. Although my client has given me to optimize that site for more than 50 keywords. It is quite hard for me to do but as you know the seo is long hard struggle process and you have to do as per clients will.

5. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO is also same for a single page as for a site but you can only target 2 or 3 keywords not more for a single page. Content for a single page write intelligently.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

When I read this post, I couldn't help but notice the following:

As the person doing the work, you have to do what's best for the client. I am reminded of an old saying, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Are you doing it because it "will be pretty neat", or because it is the best way to serve the client's needs. One of the things I learned in school when i was studying computer programming was an acronym, KISS. The meaning of the second S is not important, but the first three letters stand for "Keep It Simple". It is "simple" to get the page "www.clientwebsite.com/product" ranked for the product name, or a keyword phrase that describes the product, and you don't have to jump through hoops trying to code the website. The same applies to the "home", "equipment", "services", and "contact" pages. It is much simpler to get them ranked for phrases related to the content of the page, rather than coding the site so the listing links to a section of a page.

As with rudradhar's client, you have to do what's best for yours. Getting a single page ranked for 50 phrases is, to put it mildly, "quite hard" because if you try to write content using all 50 phrases, it would not look or sound natural. As a professional, you have to let the client know what is realistically possible, and risk losing the client. You may lose some who need to "learn the hard way", and waste their money on firms that will tell them what they want to hear. On the other hand, although your client may not get what he wants, he will at least understand why, and respect you for explaining it to him.

• Like Like x 1
    #6 Joseph.Shivell, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012