How to Disavow bad and Broken Back links?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sonakshi, Jan 16, 2015.

1. sonakshi

sonakshi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How to Disavow bad and Broken Back links?

2. prestonp

prestonp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You dont need to disavow broken links. Try contacting the site owner where you have broken links and ask them to replace those links with correct links.

As for bad links, it is imperative to know what describes a links as "bad link". Does it mean a link on low Domain Authority website? Does it mean a link that is on a directory? Or Does it mean a sitewide link? You see, there is not just one factor that describes a link as bad link.

You need to be insightful to know that. A link that is obviously a spam, like you have a page about web design and it has a link on a page that is about shoes; do you see any relation here? No, right? This is a spam link.

Few things you need to see when determining which link is bad.
    1. Context Relevancy
    2. Link coming from a blog network (Let's say you have 12 blogs, all blogs are interlinked. you have links to Site A coming from all your blogs; that is an obvious spam. Don't underestimate search engines.
    3. Links that were bought or reciprocal links (link to me and I link to you)

Actually you dont have to ask in forums about bad links. Google has a nice guideline for that, which is pretty much applicable to Bing and Yahoo too.
    Here: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66356?hl=en

Just follow Google Content Quality guidelines and engage with your community.

Dont listen to the crap of SearchEngineLand and MOZ, they will tell you links from forums and links from blog comments are bad. THIS is not always the case, often links from forums and comments are good. Example? The above link to Google I provided . Don't believe me? Try looking at the backlink profile of top sites in your industry, I bet they have links coming from directories, comments and forums.

3. sunoy14

sunoy14
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to be careful when disavowing links.

Google says that you must first attempt to remove the links yourself by contacting the webmasters where the bad link is. Otherwise it could be rejected or even dangerous.

To disavow, first create the disavow.txt file. It should be like the below example :
    #example.com remove most links but missed these
    http://example.com/example
    http://example.com/example2
    #contacted example.com on 2/2/15
    #to remove links but got no response
    domain:example.com

You should make sure that the list is formatted correctly.
    - It should be a text file (.txt)
    - It should be encoded in UTF-8 or 7-bit ASCII
    - Each line should contain only one link or domain
    - Domain removals require “domain:” at the beginning of the URL, e.g., domain:toxiclink.com
    - When you record your effort at removals, your description must begin with “#” on every line of text that you do not want to be part of the disavowal

After creating the disavow.txt file, go to the disavow tool
    - select your site
    - click disavow links
    - choose the file you created
    - click submit

Disavowing can take up some time for google. Maybe a lot of time. It will not happen instantly.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

You often give good advice, but you not only missed the boat on this one, you were nowhere near the dock! "Crap from SearchEngineLand"? If you want to see crap, just look at some of the "advice" some members have given concerning SEO on this forum! The reason SearchEngineLand and many real SEO professionals say that links from forums and blog comments are bad is because they are bad. The link you cited as an example is not the type of link they are talking about, and you know it - or you should. The link in your post is to a source that gives the reader more information about the subject of the post. These kinds of links are not intended to be used as a link source for SEO, but to give the reader a source they can reference for more, or more detailed, information.
    The "bad links" that Search EngineLand, MOZ, Google, and SEO professionals are talking about are text links that are placed specifically for SEO purposes. I see them all the time here on BAF, not only in forum posts, but in forum signatures as well. In the "Infractions & Warnings" section of the Moderators Forum, 10 of the 30 posts on the first page are for "Promotional Links In Posts" - these are " links intended to manipulate. . . a site's ranking in Google search results", and are a violation of Google's guidelines.

5. prestonp

prestonp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have seen sites in various industries having blog comment and directory links (not forum links tho) and they are constantly ranking top. However, text based links that are in the comment body are obviously spam and unnatural, I wasn't referring to that (I should've mentioned that). But commenting on blogs in your industry with your name and placing your website url in the web url field is completely natural and it is also a good way of building relationship with other bloggers. Although, having a large number of links coming just from blog comments is alarming.

I agree with you about some advice on forums, however; SearchEngineLand is supposed to be an expert blog and I have seen many articles there that are straight out recycled, multiple times. I even pointed that out on one post. Saying same thing over and over again, what is the use of that? The irony was, that articles was about getting out original content, but article itself wasn't very original. Same is the case with Moz. I am not saying this about all the posts on Moz and SEL. Some are really really great like that post by Cyrus Shepard about advanced keyword strategy: moz.com/blog/7-advanced-seo-concepts

This is what I call original content, not this crap :http://searchengineland.com/?p=206819 (nothing original, even the images used). White Board Friday is often great too.

Links coming from forums can be natural too, not talking about signature links. Here I pasted a link from Google's support page. In other instances I have pasted articles from SearchEngineLand, Moz and some other sites.

Links from directories are natural too, like link coming from Yahoo Dir, DMOZ, Best of the web and some others.

The thing is, some SEOs have given blog comments and forums so much negative remark that bloggers want to stay away from these things. But, like I said, I have seen many websites, top websites (that are still on top) having links coming from comments and forums.

This is why I also mentioned, what describes a bad link. Like in that Google's support page there are mentions about what is a bad link:

Low-quality directory or bookmark site links
    Forum comments with optimized links in the post or signature, for example
    Large-scale article marketing or guest posting campaigns with keyword-rich anchor text links

There is nothing mentioned about links coming from comments and forums are always bad link. The emphasis is on: optimized links or keyword based links being bad, which I think you mentioned in your above post and you are right about that.

However, some SEO, even on SEL and Moz have labeled comments and forums straight out bad, which is wrong. These misconceptions need to go away. There are many misconceptions about guest blogging too.

Comments and forums are a great tool to connect with a community, people just need to be taught the correct use of these tools

6. Melissa Feeney

Melissa Feeney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Earlier we could directly disavow the links from the Google Webmaster Tools, but now firstly we need to try manually to get the links removed and if we fail to get the link removed we can upload those links in the Google Webmaster tool.

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As I mentioned before, the links you cited from Google's support page, and the links to articles on SEL and Moz, are intended to give the reader more, or more detailed, information about the information in the post. They are not intended to be used primarily for SEO purposes, and there is nothing wrong with including them. Google certainly doesn't need your link to increase the rankings of their support pages. The links I am referring to are those that are placed specifically for SEO purposes, that are intended to manipulate the search results. For example, if you replied to a thread asking about logo design, and used the phrase "logo design" in your reply as a link to your page, that not only would be against forum policy, it would also be considered an attempt to "manipulate the search results", and would therefore be a "bad" link.

Yes, many businesses have links in high-quality directories Like Citysearch, 411.com, Yelp, and others, and there is nothing wrong with these. But, when someone places links in "hundreds" of directories a month, many of which no one ever visits, these are also intended to "manipulate the search results", and are therefore considered "bad" links.

The reason we label blog comments and forum posts as "straight out bad" is because, in the vast majority of cases, they are. Unfortunately, the minute a method is discovered that can be used, too many people, including many unethical SEO providers, abuse it. This abuse becomes the rule rather than the exception, and therefore turns what once was a recommended technique into a bad one. Because these techniques are too easy to abuse, it becomes easier to not recommend it, rather than explain the myriad of ways it could be used, and why one company is using it properly and others who think they are using it properly are not.

• Like Like x 1
  8. prestonp

prestonp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed, Joe. Great explanation, cleared everything. So basically we can conclude that we have some good tools and techniques in SEO, but some techniques have been abused so much that they have become something like "blacklisted" for Google though it depends on their use.

What you are saying is exactly what I was trying to explain, that blogs and forums are still a great tool, though in the end it depends how you are using them. What we are doing here, this conversation, is the best example of how to use forum; i.e. to engage with the community

• Like Like x 1
  9. sunoy14

sunoy14
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would personally hate to rely on google algorithms. Just do stuffs the traditional ways. Post on forums, guest blog, etc but not for the SEO. Do it for the readers and you will gain traffic without relying on google. And if you do it for readers, you can provide more quality which means larger chances of shares. Google will catch up, so don't bother catching up to google :D