How To Determine When To Delete Someone From Your Social Media Circle

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by deannatroupe, Sep 5, 2011.

1. deannatroupe

uix_expand uix_collapse

Sep 3, 2011
    How To Determine When To Delete Someone From Your Social Media Circle
    By DeAnna Troupe

"Two persons cannot long be friends if they cannot forgive each other's little failings." ~ Jean de La Bruyere

This is a very good quote indeed and very applicable to social media. You can't stay friends with someone if you can not forgive the mistakes they make. Let me explain. Let's say you set up an interview with one of your social media buds. You have cleared your calendar, made sure the kids were in bed. You get on the phone, dial your bridge line, wait for 10 minutes and no one shows up. You tweet the individual and get no response. You send them emails and Facebook messages and nothing. Well what do you do? It would be really easy to go "Oh well this person is a jerk, they blew me off". However, I am suggesting that you need to give that person the benefit of the doubt. The one thing you need to remember is that we are all human. We all lead very busy lives. We are parents and spouses. Some of us are caretakers to sick parents. Others of us take care of sick spouses. We do all of this and we still run a business. Always wait a couple of days to give the other person a chance to explain themselves. You never know what could have happened. They could have gotten sick. They could have had to rush someone to the emergency room at the hospital. Definitely wait and sort things out in private before you go berating this person in public. Remember once you put something out on the Internet, it's hard to retract and take it back. Find out what happened and resolve the issue and go on about your business if at all possible.

The only times I say you should not give someone the benefit of the doubt is if they are being blatantly dishonest or if they are being racist, sexist or just plain mean. If someone told you they were sending you an audio file that was an hours worth of work and it turned out to be two, that is a different story. I would still say try to work it out in private, but by all means delete this person from your network. You don't need to associate with dishonest people.

Also if you see someone posting comments that you feel are racist, delete them from your network. If you want to call them out on it, that's fine, but I don't really think that is necessary. Just unfollow that person. Your twitter stream or Facebook feed does not have to be filled with negativity.

It is important to forgive your friends online just like it is important to forgive your "in real life" friends. One day you may actually meet these people you are socializing with online. Treat these relationships with the same respect as you do the people you see face to face.

For more social media and small business advice go to Learn Small Business