How to criticize, and receive critics ?

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by VVhite_Angel, Sep 30, 2010.

1. VVhite_Angel

uix_expand uix_collapse

Sep 25, 2010
    This article is divided in two parts, How to give a good and useful critic and not beeing hated after, and how to receive a critic, and not have criminal ideas after :D

► How to criticize, and not beeing hated after ...

Some method to criticize good, when some people ask you advice on their website, or business. Sometimes it's difficult to show our feelings right with words, and words can be easily been interpreted wrong and ... causes tensions.

1st method : The teaching way

You will think : It's not a critic, of course ! That's one, but instead of saying "Your price color is UGLY", you explain why, you suggest something.

2nd method
    : Sandwich method

This can be looks like :
    - Talking good
    - Talk precisely on what you think
    - Talking good

Example :
    The 2nd sentence alone isnt good, but placed between 2 others "good" ones changes all !

3rd method : Un-personnal critic

It's a way to say "I'm criticize you ... but it's not me !"

Example :

Ultimate method : Be constructive

Saying you are not agree with a color choice can be possible ! But you always have reason to think this ... You just have to tell about this reasons to think that the price color is UGLY ! :D

► How to receive a critic, and not have crimical ideas after ...

Receive critics is good, that means people are interested in what you are doing. There are several types of critics, let us see them.

Type 1 : The very good and very short critic

Ok ... that critic have no interest ... Maybe a bit of pleasure ? :)

Type 2 : The good and long critic

A bit better, but nothings is perfect, so ... stay in alert that it could be something bad in your catalog (The nasty price color i think ... lol)

Type 3 : A medium critic with good and bad thing

As we describe upper in the article, THIS is the best critic.

Type 4 : The bad

First : Stay zen :D
    Second : If you see that someone write several sentences about one thing, remember that there is 1 problem, 1 thing (and 3 sentences ... not 3 problems).
    This critic isnt so bad, but it could be writen in better words (Don't say someone is stupid ...).

Type 5 : The baddest

First : Stay zen :D :D and more zen :D
    Second : He could not know that the catalog of the local supermarker is really ugly than what you have done
    Third : Something wrong with him, on something on the catalog but ... we don't know what !

Remember everything can't be perfect, and everything can be changed to approach step by step the perfection. But some people don't care this, and prefer not give useful critic. So ... don't care on them, they don't have time to give a useful critic ? So don't waste time to reply or ...

How to answer ?
    First : Don't be agressive in your reply, this will be bad for you. Just say him to calm down, and to explain what is the problem for him.

If there's is no constructive answer ... you can forget this bad advice.

Ultimate points :
    - Stay zen
    - Don't use another accound name to reply
    - Be honnest and reply kindly at bad critics
    - Don't focus on bad critics or very good one. Only those who explain why ... are useful.

Original article for BAF - By VVhite_Angel (
  2. Tanapangarap

uix_expand uix_collapse

Jun 26, 2010
    Upon reading the above article, I was reminded of something I said at Forum Promotion:

When I said that a "review is productive when it focuses on what is at least perceived to be in need of improvement or change," I could have added that the person giving the critique should give his thoughts on how to remedy a problem, or should try to be detailed about what the problem is.

However, I think critique would benefit from feedback between the critic and the person being criticized. For example, take the feedback between the reviewer (of my forum) and me at an administrator resource and general discussion forum, The Hazey:

Thanks to the privilege to talk to the reviewer after the review was done, I was able to get clarification on several points and received more advice informed by the discussion. The feedback also allowed the reviewer and me both to better understand each other, which goes back to the first two points made.