How to create the Wikipedia page?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by kpkarthik, Jun 3, 2014.

1. kpkarthik

kpkarthik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We could get detailed information regarding all the celebrities and famous artists through Wikipedia. But I want to know how to create a website like Wikipedia and who maintains that each of these sites like Wikipedia? If I want to create my own website like Wikipedia, how do I do that?

#1 kpkarthik, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  2. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your question is not clear but if you are looking to create your own website using wiki software like Wikipedia, there are many wiki software applications available, including MediaWiki, the one that powers Wikipedia. Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_software

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I edited kpkarthik's post to make the point clearer, as it appears you are correct. To answer his other question, others can edit the pages, as is done with Wikipedia, but, as the owner of the site, he would have to do fact checking to make sure the information is accurate. I have another concern, however. Once the site is created, then what? Is he trying to compete with Wikipedia? Does he have the resources necessary to compete? A clear plan is needed, along with enough resources to make sure the site can serve it's intended purpose for the forseeable future.

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can just create an account in wikipedia to add your page.
    I have once worked to a client who owns the coinwik.org and what I mostly do is edit the pages and add facts and links. Its actually easy to create a wiki site but I'm not sure how to monetize them.

5. ConanLake

ConanLake
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First, create an account by pressing on Login at the top right corner of the Main Page. Then, place the name of your article in the search box, and press go. If your article isn't there, press the Create this article button and voila.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

The OP wants to create a website like Wkikpedia, not add a page to Wkipedia, as you can see after I corrected his English. Of course, it's possible I misinterpreted his intent, and like Business Attorney, only thought he wanted to create his own site. It will be up to kpkarthik to clear up the confusion.