How to create a successful contest?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Andym, May 24, 2011.

1. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have this question for my friend. He is creating a blog with multiple authors. The author with the top post at the end of each week will receive a special prize. He have an arrangement with a US based online store that makes this very easy, and I get free shipping.

Here's the problem: Many of the authors who want to contribute do not live in the United States, and if they win the contest I cannot afford to pay $20 for international shipping.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? What can he do differently?

Thank you!!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I replied to this post yesterday but my post is obviously not here, either I accidentally deleted it or didn't post it properly in the first place :(

What I'd suggest is that your friend contact the online store and ask if they would be prepared to offer vouchers as prizes. That way, the contest winner can still purchase something from the store and the blog owner won't have to pay for shipping. Do you feel that vouchers would be an option that could work for this contest?

3. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My suggestion is maybe you can offer a cash prize for the winners,in that case the shipping is not a problem.

4. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal! Your idea is very new and good... as firstchoicecar said to offer cash prize and this was something we already thought of. Asking online shopping stores for vouchers will be a good idea... I will suggest him this.