How to communicate well without a word

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by abohadi, Feb 27, 2009.

1. abohadi

abohadi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you think all communication between people is verbal? In fact, approximately 93% of messages are sent through non-verbal language. So you can do it, communicating well, interacting with others and expressing your feelings without saying a word. Tell you How?

1. Use facial expressions
    Smiling and frowning have universal meanings. You can smile to show love, happiness, amusement or kindness. On the other hand, you can frown to show dislike or disapproval.

2. Use eye contact
    A lot of messages can be communicated by glances. With your eyes you can show involvement and kindness or hostility and command. Mutual eye contact may indicate that participants are ready and willing to start the conversation and interact. It is an important signal of intimacy. The more eye contact, the closer the relationship is.

3. Use the language of posture
    The more the person leans towards the individual he is talking to, the more positively he feels about him and vice versa. Individuals’ positions affect the type of talk people engage in. Confrontational position ( People sit face-to-face across a table ) is much less friendly than sitting beside each other.

4. Use the language of apparel
    The way we dress communicates something about us. When we wear uniforms, work clothes, play clothes, formal clothes … etc, we send a meaning to others. Our dress reflects our respect for those whom we visit or go out with. E.g. people who wear glasses are assumed to be judged as more seniors and intelligent.

5. Use the language of colors
    Using warm colors ( Yellow, orange and red ) stimulates creativity and makes people feel outgoing and responsive. On the other hand, using cool colors encourages meditation and may discourage conversation.

You can also use the language of odor, time, signs and vocal sounds to send a meaning to your receiver(s) but you should be aware this meaning is either universal or understood correctly as you want. In brief, avoid misunderstanding in your non verbal communication so you can communicate well without saying a word.

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just don't do the scary "stare intensely without blinking" or you'll be labeled a potential bunny boiler rather than girlfriend/boyfriend material. The stalker look is not an attractive one. :D

3. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice post with great advice.
    Thanks for sharing.
    For me, the best way to communicate without a word is by using
    your smile.

Just like when you see a dog, it will just shake its tail.
    And that's what makes you like the dog.

The same goes for human, the smile is the best weapon.
    This is even more important if you're in HR or sales field.
    So smile always.
    :)

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Shawn and thanks for your great tip about smiling.

I fully agree. Smiling helps to make you feel better, so it's worth making the effort to smile, even when you are not in the mood for it. When you smile you also help the people around you to feel better.

From both a business and a personal perspective, other people will find you to be much more approachable when you smile.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome ShawnLim! :) I agree too. I was always taught as well that you should smile when answering a business/work call because the person will know the difference if you do, and I believe that's true.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point Kay, when we smile on the phone it comes across in our voice - "smile while you dial" :D

7. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all, I'm new here. :)
    That's what I learned from a self-improvement seminar last time.
    That's what the guru told us to do, smile more.

Just like the movie 'Yes Man'. The more positive habits and behaviors you
    adopted into your life, the more positive results will come to you.

Thanks.

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Aside from a smile, we can also communicate using two thumbs up to say you approve of them or their work, a clap or a tap on the shoulder to say "congratulations" or "job well done", and a hug or a kiss to say you love them.

Aside from these, you can also use a smiley. :p ;) :D

9. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good point!
    Your smileys work cuz I'm smiling when I look at them. :p